1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Francisco Chronicle

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Don Drysdale, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Don Drysdale

Don Drysdale New Member

Anyone hear about some big staff cuts this week in sports? I heard rumors of two shockers but not confirmed yet.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Ann is going to be shocked when she finds out you're alive and posting on SportsJournalists.com?

3. Don Drysdale

Don Drysdale New Member

(She'll never notice; she's obsessed with her NCAA brackets.)

4. hankschu

hankschu Member

Hi there. I work in the department.

Glenn Schwarz, sports editor of the Examiner/Chronicle since 1987 and a baseball writer for nearly two decades before that, has been removed from his job as management chooses to go in a different direction, as they say. Al Saracevic, our business editor, has been named sports editor.

Glenn was not fired. He has been offered a writing position, just as Dan McGrath was in Chicago.

The cuts to which you allude have not happened yet. But as part of the 150 job cuts paper-wide that Guild members approved, several sports people have applied for buyouts, which will be allowed through the end of the month. If management does not get the reduction it needs through buyouts, then layoffs will come in mid-April. It is my understanding our section of 35 will be reduced by roughly 10. Six people have applied for the buyouts, mostly on the desk.

This is clearly an emotional time at my shop, as Glenn is very respected.

As for any "shockers," besides Glenn, I don't know of any big-name guys who have asked for a buyout.

5. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Wow, that is a surprise. I wonder what Glenn thinks of this.

Regardless, he certainly earned my respect, and I liked working with him very much, during my couple past experiences as a freelancer for the Chronicle.

6. Don Drysdale

Don Drysdale New Member

Everything I know about Glenn is darn positive.

Did they offer Yant a different job, too?

7. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Only met Glenn Schwartz once, at one of those APSE walk-in mini conventions in Sacramento a few years ago. Went over my clips with me, was very frank as to what I needed to work on, discussed his files on writers he would like to hire in the future . . . .

Really nice guy. I walked away with a few great pieces of advice, and the view that the SAN FRANCISCO CHRONICLE was one of those upper-case papers, where the sports editor could target people he wished to hire.

No more. I don't think anyone has that status anymore, except maybe the NY TImes.

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I haven't been paying attention, I guess. Dan McGrath is now a writer at the Chicago Tribune, not the SE or AME/SE or whatever his title was? So who's in charge of the section now?

9. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

And does the new SE at the Chron have any sports experience?

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Probably some Zellite radio flunkie who would love nothing more than gratutitous mentions of "boobies" in the sports section.

11. Or it could be Mike Kellams, a good guy who has gone out of his way to help people who don't even work for him.

Either/or, I guess.

12. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I'm still hoping that someone knows, if the move to shift McGrath into a writing role already has been made.

Draft saved Draft deleted