1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Francisco Chronicle refuses to cover MMA and UFC and UFC President bashes em

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by blog415, Aug 11, 2010.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Meat, figure skating has been around for decades upon decades. MMA at this point is only a few years beyond full-contact karate as far as being an enterprise. Still holding my breath for the next PKA PPV. Point is, there's no guarantee MMA will still be a big deal 10 years from now. Figure skating has a track record.

2. dooley_womack1

Um, let's see...in boxing, you can do damage with your fist.

In MMA, you can do damage with your fist, heel of the hand, feet, legs, knees, the ability to use your hands to grab and twist...and so on.

Your last sentence is a load of crap

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

You can also defend with each of those things in MMA.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You can defend with a load of crap? No wonder it's messy and an acquired taste.

5. dooley_womack1

So what, Rick? It's easier to attack with more weapons, harder to defend when you have to watch out for more things. The only thing that counters the obviousness of MMA being more dangerous is the fact that a significant percentage of its matches devolve into homoerotic bear cuddling

6. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

It has been fairly well-known that boxing gloves do much, much more damage than bare knuckles and/or feet because the glove offers 100 percent protection to the hand.

You punch or kick a guy a few times with a bare fist or foot and you'll break it. That's just common sense.

Look how many boxers have had their brains scrambled. Look at how many boxers have died in the ring.

A load of crap is close-minded people who think they know everything without actually studying the facts.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Re: San Francisco Chronicle refuses to cover MMA and UFC and UFC President bashe

That makes more sense. "How many things you can attack with" isn't really a measure of how safe or dangerous the combat sport is.

I'd like to see the actual numbers, but most MMA matches I've seen tend to be very defensive and guys tap out when they know they are in trouble but before they can get hurt. Boxing is just standing there trading head shots.

8. Gold

Gold Active Member

I'm highly offended by that comment. The WWE doesn't deserve to be compared with the MMA - it is a much better show. :)

9. dooley_womack1

Rick, you can put up your fists to your head to block punches. In MMA, you can't protect against a potential punch to the head and a potential kick in the gut at the same time. And yes, boxing is a stupid, dangerous activity. Much as MMA is.

10. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Irrelevant to the discussion. MMA is a big deal NOW, and that's why you have to acknowledge it, even if you're holding your nose the whole time. A significant sporting event broadcast to an international audience on PPV, making its live debut in your circulation area, is worthy of coverage -- whether it's for the hardcore fans or the people who don't know what MMA stands for.

11. dooley_womack1

No, a paper doesn't have to cover something it doesn't want to. If it doesn't see MMA as part of its mission, fine. Most MMA fans won't go to a paper for MMA news, anyway, and will go to the Chronicle for Giants and Niners coverage, anyway. No loss for the Chron. And I suspect at least nine-tenths of the people who care about MMA, if they're not at the arena, will see all the results on PPV anyway.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Re: San Francisco Chronicle refuses to cover MMA and UFC and UFC President bashe

I don't know the staffing situation at the SFC, so forgive me for asking - is it possible they just didn't have a warm body to throw at the event?

Niners and Raiders are in camp. Bay Area colleges are into camp as well. Giants were at Atlanta and Oakland was hosting Texas. I'm guessing the NBA and NHL writers were following free agent moves. You figure the prep guy(s) is/are busy with preseason stuff as well.

I guess they could have sought out a stringer or juggled some beats. Or, as I said earlier, maybe the SE just didn't think his readers were that interested in the event.

Draft saved Draft deleted