1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Francisco Chronicle refuses to cover MMA and UFC and UFC President bashes em

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by blog415, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

So how many inches of copy did the four writers produce for today's edition? Was it a two-page spread of bout stories, sidebars and color?

2. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Globe and Herald got it right; 90% of the places the UFC goes get it right. Chron got it wrong.

3. dailygrind

dailygrind Member

Anybody that writes off this sport as "barbaric" or as just a "bloodsport" hasn't taken the time to sit down and look at the facts. In terms of the level of actual physical danger, there will be more deaths in boxing and, for that matter, competitive cheerleading this year than MMA. Now, that being said, it's a dangerous sport. But, so is football and NASCAR.
    To be honest, I don't like tennis, volleyball, golf, etc. But, that doesn't mean I don't put them in my paper. I look at them and ask myself what my readers think. What do they want to see in the morning?
    In this case, it looks like the Chronicle completely missed the boat because of a bias based on an outdated way of thinking. Shame on them.
    I interviewed the head of the Ohio State Athletic Commission, Bernie Profato, for a story. I asked Bernie about the difference between boxing and MMA as far as the long term health of the fighters was concerned.
    "There is no comparison," he said. "I've refereed 2,500 boxing matches in my time, and I can tell you, if we took two fighters today, put one in boxing and one in MMA, and we came back 10 years later, the boxer wouldn't be able to string two sentences together and the mixed martial artist would write you a thesis."

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Well. That settles that.

5. Mr7134

Mr7134 Member

Bob Ryan's column on UFC 118 which, as mentioned, took place in Boston.

http://www.boston.com/sports/other_sports/articles/2010/08/29/ultimately_this_sport_is_a_big_hit/

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

MMA is not a sport. It's merely another version of pro wrestling. Save your arguments. You know I'm right.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Yes, you prove yourself to be right on so many different threads.

8. Mr7134

Mr7134 Member

According to Dave Meltzer...

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Shocking!

10. So if we attempted to follow the Chron's ridiculous line of logic, the promoters, Strikeforce, had a drawing card who could fill the arena in San Jose, and they decided to deliberately kill their own drawing card by having him lose in a flash to someone with no charisma and no name value. Brilliant. I'm guessing the Chron won't be winning any Pulitzers for investigative journalism any time soon.

11. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

While Dana White is definitely a loudmouth a-hole, don't you have to cover such a huge event in your city? Heck, if you don't want to call it a sport, then have news or entertainment go. At least where I am, most major musical acts coming through will get a preview and a review, so you'd think UFC would warrant at least the same coverage, if not more.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Feel free to actually address the subject. And whether I'm right or wrong more often than not depends on whether you agree or disagree with me.

Draft saved Draft deleted