1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Diego U-T sold to equity group

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Frank_Ridgeway, Mar 18, 2009.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Black... gawd, he just sends a chill..

2. Editude

Editude Active Member

Mole inside the U-T: David Black will run the show. His Canadian papers (and Hawaii Star-Bulletin and Washington state tabs) appear to be doing OK.

I have to imagine there will be some job losses to make this equity purchase work. And the product needs a lot of capital improvements, both to the paper and the Web site.

3. jackandcoke

jackandcoke Member

Black folded the Journal. The previous owner, in his all-out quest to mismanage a once-proud paper, was the one who combined Eastside Journal and South County Journal into the King County Journal.

4. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

A colleague worked at Akron when Black came in.

Seriously, if you're in San Diego: Make sure your parachute is well packed.

5. I agree. Zeigler is the man. If you read his outstanding story on the downfall of Ken Caminiti, which was published in the Best American Sports Writing, you'd know what I mean. Problem is, he covers friggin' soccer and Olympic sports and writes the occasional feature/takeout, which, as we know, is a recipe for disaster if they were to clean house amongst the writers there.

Anyway, here's the link to that piece on Caminiti.
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20041031/news_lz1s31caminit.html

6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

To paraphrase the Joker in Batman, this paper needs an enema.

It needs a redesign more than anything.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Yeah, redesigns always fix the problems with newspapers.

8. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

He wrote an APSE-winning gamer on SDSU/UCSB NCAA Tournament soccer that was one of the most weirdly compelling stories I've ever read. I'm not happy about his chances.

9. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Careful ...

10. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Re: San Diego U-T sold to equity group -- layoffs begin

from www.voiceofsandiego.org/this_just_in/#blurb3

The San Diego Union-Tribune is in the process of laying off at least 40 newsroom employees, two newsroom sources said.

Lorie Hearn, a senior editor at the newspaper, is in the midst of delivering the news to the affected employees, a source said.

Two sources said the employees are being given 60 days notice, a state requirement whenever a company lays off more than 50 people.

The layoffs are the first under the newspaper's new ownership. The Union-Tribune's sale to Beverly Hills-based Platinum Equity was completed Monday.

We'll have more later.

11. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

It's (unfortunately) Game On in San Diego

Once the private equity folks come in, bodies go out...

At the Union-Tribune, 190 workers shown the exit, with 40 of those in the newsroom.

http://www.kpbs.org/news/2009/may/07/union-tribune-lays-190-workers/

Time for the vaunted Moddy Pipeline to start pumping out info...

EDIT: MTM put this up at roughly the same time on the SD U-T Sold To Private Equity thread, so feel free to delete this, Mods

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Re: It's (unfortunately) Game On in San Diego

"The source tells KPBS that the new owners made signing a confidentiality clause a condition of continued employment."
    I've heard of this when someone is shown the door, as a condition of generous severance, but I can't imagine a newspaper making employees sign a loyalty oath. Really, a gag order on employees? Great opening number by the new management. Can't wait for the follow-up.

Draft saved Draft deleted