1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Diego murder (?) mystery

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/jul/21/answers-spreckels-mansion-deaths-could-take-weeks/

Millionaire's girlfriend found hung naked from a balcony with arms and legs bound, just days after his six-year-old son fatally fell down the stairs. (His organs were donated to three ill children.)

The father's divorce was an ugly one, with allegations of abuse from both sides. They've released two joint statements since the son's death.

Awful story, but a fascinating one.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Heard about this the other day.

Suicide would be a tough thing to do with arms and feet bound, yes?

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

It really is an endlessly bizarre story. (Even though this happened on Coronado all the players involved are from my area, so I've followed it relatively closely.)

I've seen photos of the stairway the boy allegedly fell down. They're not steep, and they're carpeted. It is very hard to imagine anyone being seriously injured in such a fall.

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

That's what I'm thinking.

Just a really weird story.

5. PCLoadLetter

It would be doable, but a strange thing to do.

Her body ended up on the ground not far from a wide ledge -- easily wide enough to stand on, as I recall. You could attach the noose, bind yourself, then jump. Again, it wouldn't make any sense, but it would be theoretically possible.

6. imjustagirl

How could you bind your own hands?

7. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

I have read about this. Apparently some zip ties will do the trick. I guess it's one way to ensure you follow through with the suicide -- can't change your mind after you've bound yourself. Makes me wonder if she had a role in the boy's death.

8. imjustagirl

You're freaking me out, CB. :D

9. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Dude, I read some weird shit.

10. PCLoadLetter

It would be hard to do it well, but I think you could do it loosely pretty easily.

Draft saved Draft deleted