1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Diego Ideas

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lieslntx, Aug 26, 2008.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

2. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

We thoroughly enjoyed our tour at Midway today. My only disappointment was that AA was not there to share it with me. It would have been great to have heard some first-hand accounts from him as to what it was like to have lived on a similar ship for as long as he did.

We did, however, have our tour of the island part of it conducted by a docent who had spent a tour of three years on the Midway. Not only that, but he had flown one of the planes that was on display. Not a plane like it, but the actual plane. He flew that actual plane in January and February of 1969 in Vietnam. That was pretty cool.

We had to do some prep work at the convention center tonight, so we didn't have time to do a harbor tour. Nor did we have time to put our feet in the Pacific and feel the sand, which is always a favorite thing to do for my business partner, since she lives in Salt Lake City.

I do have a beautiful view of Petco Park from the door of the room that I will be working in all weekend. So while I don't get to go there, I will get to see it, somewhat.

We plan to walk to the Gaslight District Saturday after working, since it's right across the street from the convention center. Plan to spend some time walking around and just enjoying the sights, having a nice dinner and getting a drink or two.

Our hotel is not near the convention center, like I thought, but rather near Sea World. Which means that we do get to see the fireworks each night around 9 p.m. Watching fireworks never fails to make me smile.

We hope to have time to drive over the bridge (don't know the name of it) that goes into Coronado Sunday before we have to be at the airport. I am not at all a fan of bridges, but since my partner is driving and I don't have to deal with that part of it, I suppose I can be a big girl and tolerate it. She thinks it will be some kind of good "therapy" for me to ride over it.

I appreciate all the input. We have have enjoyed the city so far. What little we have seen of it.

3. Cadet

Cadet Guest

That bridge is not "therapy." It's fucking scary. Take the ferry instead.

4. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Well, I agree with you totally! The only freaking reason she wants to go to Coronado is so that "I" can say that I've been over that bridge! Maybe I'll put a pill in her drink Saturday night and she will totally forget about the idea.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

do not walk over to TJ. just don't do it.

6. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Well, we decided to blow off the Gaslamp District tonight (Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know I called it Gaslight in an earlier post. So sue me. :-[) and go to the Padres game. We ended up with what we thought were great tickets in section 315. It's a tiny little section, only a few rows high. But filled with some great people. We were one of the few that didn't have season or partial season tickets. It was obvious rather quickly to those around us that we were not locals, nor were we rooting for a particular team, but rather, just fans taking in a game. The great Padres' fans welcomed this Astros fan, plus my business partner (who is a sometimes-Rockies fan) with open arms, even though they were playing the Rockies.

It ended up being a great game and we were quite excited to get to see Greer pitch his first MLB game and get the win. Even my partner was rooting for and cheering for the Padres before it was all over with. There is just something about being at a live sporting event that warms a person's heart. I can hardly wait to get to the airport tomorrow, to pick up a local paper and read the story of the game. As corny as that sounds, it's true. I plan to clip the story and put in my scrapbook, since my partner and I rarely ever get to just enjoy ourselves on these trips. So, forgive my sappy rambling about a random game and realize that it was a good night for us and those that watched the game near us.

Thank you, San Diego. We had a great time visiting you. It was one of our more memorable trips. And we hope to return one day. I can think of no other city I would have wished to spend my 41st birthday in.

Draft saved Draft deleted