1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Dee-Ay-Go, make that Los An-Gel-Es, Super Chargers?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Dec 7, 2010.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

If and when Los Angeles does get an NFL team, it will become inhospitable to Joe Six Pack who just wants to watch a game with his family in a clean, safe environment.

The city of Los Angeles is pretty much a third world sewer. Regular folks aren't going to put up with the violence and aggressive atmosphere seen at Raider games (before they left); at Laker playoff wins; and last seen at the Rose Bowl this past Saturday. Anyone parked north of the Rose Bowl on the golf course last Saturday saw it.

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Actually, no. Winn-Dixie hasn't done that for a few years, not since they filed for Chapter 11 and re-organized. The judge wouldn't have appreciated them buying up thousands of tickets.
    The Jaguars have actually sold tickets this year the old-fashioned way: by winning some games. Amazing how that works.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Fixed.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I wonder if grocery stores in Green Bay or Pittsburgh have ever had to do something like that. :)

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Hondo,

You do know I'm fucking with you, because I hate your beloved Jags. :D

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Haven't met a single native who refers to it that way. Well, OK, if they live near the Coliseum and want to pump up the neighborhood into something it isn't, they might say that. Or if they're a small publication that wants to have an excuse to cover USC-related stuff, like the L.A. Downtown News, which includes the Exposition Park area in its "Downtown" mandate.

Anyway, L.A.'s actual downtown area wasn't exactly a place to be until the last few years. Staples Center and its surroundings really made it relevant for the first time in a long time.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The Coliseum is where Figueroa Tech plays its football games, right?

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I think you're right. Helluva bargaining chip for the league.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Downtown LA people call the Coliseum part of downtown; that's why it's on the local DASH bus route, that's why the hood around it is part of the University/South Park BID area, joining the Bank District, Historic Core, Arts District, Toy District, and China Town among others. In other words, businesses around the Coliseum have to pay a downtown tax, just like a jeweler at the corner of 7th and Broad. Go to Cartifact Maps, the downtown LA experts, and they list the Coliseum as part of Downtown. Sorry if your family in Garden Grove or Van Nuys or wherever doesn't.

You are right, of course, about Staples Center sparking a DTLA rebirth. Its success is why everyone is lining up to support AEG's third step (LA Live being No. 2) in rebuilding DTLA.

BTW, USC is looking to buy the Coliseum, it was announced yesterday...

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-usc-coliseum-20101208,0,2875434.story

Conspiracy theorists note that Ed Roski -- the man behind the City of Industry stadium effort -- is Chairman of USC's Board. Is this a move by Ed to keep the NFL out of DTLA, by giving them no place to play while the stadium is being built?

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

As I said, I'll believe "NFL stadium in L.A.!!!" when I see it. There have been many starts and stops over the last 15 years, and each time, the city and its various suburbs collectively shrugged.

Downtown LA people are reaching.

Never heard of Cartifact Maps. Is that this one, the one that has the Coliseum in a no-man's land?

http://maps.cartifact.com/

Coliseum-area businesses are getting screwed on taxes if they pay the Downtown tax.

As for your reference to Garden Grove or Van Nuys . . . let's just say you're pretty far off.

OK, extremely far off. Shocking, I know.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

For pete's sake, you guys are arguing over what, 20 or 30 blocks? A mile?

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I'm not arguing; I'm right. I live here. I know the Coliseum is in Downtown LA, just like everyone else here knows it. The last time Peter was downtown probably was when he drove in -- apparently from Palmdale or Lancaster or some other "pretty far off place" where people like the WWE -- to meet with his parole officer.

Draft saved Draft deleted