1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Antonio paper to quit Top 25 polls

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SixToe, Feb 12, 2007.

1. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

www.mysanantonio.com/news/columnists/brichter/stories/MYSA021107.richter.e-n.703cb75c.html

2. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Hmmmmm. I wonder if any other papers will follow. I doubt it.

3. boots

boots New Member

First lets start with the obivous. Tim is one of the great guys in all of sports journalism. That being said, the move by Steve Quintanna wasn't ground breaking or Earth shattering. Several papers have adopted the policy.
    There is merit on both sides. Personally, I believe the polls became watered down AFTER they began to add more teams. First it was Top 10, Then 15 now it's 25. What's next? Why not go back to the Dunkel rating?

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think a lot of major papers are doing this...

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I can understand that, to an extent.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Writers used to view voting in these polls as an honor. Now, it's a colossal pain in the ass...

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I don't remember the New Orleans thing, but now that the AP isn't figured into the BCS system, it seems like an odd time to pull out.

8. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Under John Carroll, the LA Times pulled out of all polls and awards.
    I thought I heard Garcia-Ruiz at the Washington Post considering the same.
    This goes under the thought of removing a reporter from any instance where he/she can become the news instead of objectively covering it. Frankly, I think it's a good thing.

9. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

The age-old question: So should this philosophy apply to the post-season awards in various sports voted on by the media? Heisman, etc.

10. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Yes. Why not?

11. Because unlike the BCS, on which the media no longer has any influence, postseason awards are determined solely by the media (with the exception of the Heisman, which, I believe, factors in a fan vote). If we bow out, who picks the Heisman winner? 40 crusty, old guys in the DAC?

12. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

The NO thing involved a reporter (LSU beat writer, I think) who thought Oklahoma lost a game it won and bumped them down accordingly.

Draft saved Draft deleted