1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Antonio Night Editor slams a pop-knot on TV guys

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SixToe, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Re: San Antonio SE slams a pop-knot on TV guys

I just realized the irony in my post. The San Antonio article is cut-and-pasted on this very thread!

I'd have linked it so the publication gets the hits.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

That's because you're a multi-medium f'in stud. ;)

3. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

The sad thing is Greg Simmons (one of the SA sportscasters in question) used to be one of the good broadcasters. He hustled and broke occasional stories and had what passes for integrity in that end of the business.

At some point, maybe after all of those years of taking money from the team he covers (the S.A. Spurs), he lost his moral compass. And once that happens, it's easy to become a rip-and-read hack like most of the rest of the talking heads.

4. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

Wanna cringe? Read a column where the writer bitches he had trouble doing his job because of, yada, yada, yada. You get the point.

I was shocked he wrote that, but once I read it, I was more embarrassed to call myself a journalist.

5. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

As far as radio hacks go, WEEI out here in Boston is pretty good about giving credit to the newspapers it gets info from. Maybe it's because most of those reporters do guest hosting stints, but they will quote and credit smaller papers if they get info from them.

6. John

John Well-Known Member

I read the story here, then clicked on the link just to make sure they got a hit out of it.

7. greenie

greenie Member

The big sports radio station in my market ought to just give us a free sponsorship of their every-20-minute tickers, since all they do is summarize the top stories on our site.

One of the hosts hammered me once when I screwed up the salary of a free agent signing. I e-mailed the guy and informed him that the exact same dollar figure was reported on his show.

"That's because we got it from your story," he said.

"Oh, I guess you should have attributed it then," I replied.

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

What is one way newspapers could get this to stop?

Would putting a false breaking news story on its web site and seeing if the tv/radio station took the bait, stop this?

If a TV/radio station got burned like that, they may think twice before stealing it again.

Of course, the down side to this scenario would be the newspaper putting a false story on its web site/print edition. Of course, after the TV/radio station take the bait, the newspaper would have to come clean, tell why they did it.

It's not really a solution I would recommend, but would/should a newspaper do it to stop very chronic and very obvious stealing?

Figured I throw this out there for discussion. I'm pretty sure where we are all going to stand on this, tho.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Absolutely it does... but nine posts against three pages comes from the fact that it happens more often with Broadcast stealing from print.
    Two TV stations here would give attribution in a heart beat; the other 1 1/2 (cant count the CBS station as much) probably wouldnt. The sports talk station would.

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Back in the bad ol' good old days in a couple different markets that saw intense newspaper wars and before the rise of the interweb, competing papers used to slip in incorrect or made-up high school football scores and stories in their early editions, to see if the other paper would take the bait.
    I wish I could remember the name of the school that was created by one of the Dallas papers. Hopefully someone will help me out.

An easy fix is to form partnerships with a broadcast outlet and then the marketing demons take hold and they have to credit the paper then.

11. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

pretty much

won't get me on the radio again until saturday, i think

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Of course, that works for print on print too... or it does, as long as you say it loudly and to enough people in the press room at the girls basketball finals and the writer from the smaller paper in the JOA bites on it...

Draft saved Draft deleted