1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sample resume...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YoungGun7, Sep 2, 2007.

1. YoungGun7

YoungGun7 New Member

What do you editors look for on a resume? What catches your eye in a positive and negative way?

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Say you worked for the New York Times, the Washington Post and the Chicago Tribune. If that's not good enough, say you forgot to include your time at the Plain-Dealer.

Serious answer: Proof the hell out of that resume. Nothing says "Garbage can" quite like a resume with a typo. And make sure it's not too long; most editors won't care about your time at the Podunk High paper or the sixth-place writing award you got while at Bumblefuck Tech. Keep it short, simple and to the point.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

clips that make me go: "huh."

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

as opposed to clips that make me go: "huh?" because that makes your resume go *rip*

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i don't think you got what i was sayin' meat. i hire folks that make me go "hmmm" (a quick inquisitive hmm). i like clips that make me think ... is what i was sayin.

sorry, i wasn't trying to be sarcastic.

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Right. I was drawing the distinction between thought-provoking "huh" and wtf "huh", to illustrate to our newbie hero the fine line dividing the two.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

maybe you should start hiring my folks instead of me. ... solid. :D

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

A resume is an ad for yourself.

Catch their attention, don't bullshit and keep it short.

Oh, and don't forget to call the SE twice a day after you've sent it. :)

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Particularly when they say no calls. They don't mean that. They really, really love those calls.
    Call often.

10. Exactly, they're just trying to weed out the non-aggressive types.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yes. and if you come in to interview, please, please ask when i'm giving you a ride back to the hotel: "so, any good strip clubs around here?"

12. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

The only thing I was told is to make sure the resume is brief, but gives enough information to the editor. Meaning, don't write your whole life story but highlight the most important parts that makes you a formidable candidate for a position that they have. Really showcase the qualities in the resume that make you attractive and marketable as a candidate for a position.

And do call back to follow up to see if they received your stuff (well, you know why you really are calling)

Once you get the interview, that's when you work your charm and wow them....

It has worked for me....

Draft saved Draft deleted