1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

same song, different artists

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by writing irish, Apr 26, 2007.

1. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Changed the Locks, Lucinda Williams and Tom Petty (She's the One soundtrack).

Wonderwall, Oasis and Ryan Adams. Before you laugh, you have to hear Adams' version. Excellent.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Don't know if it has been mentioned or not...

Higher Ground - Stevie Wonder/Chili Peppers

Rocket Man - Elton John/Bill Shatner (YouTube Classic)

Cake does a great cover of I Will Survive

This Charming Man - Smiths and a nice one by the Stars

I am trying to think of covers, but so often I like the original so much better. I just think it is kind of a cheap cop out by an artist to do a cover. Especially if it is their first "hit song." The only grace is if the song is revamped with a different beat or totally different instruments.

Oh, the entire Schoolhouse Rock album was a great example of covers done well.

3. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Love that version of higher ground.

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Passionate Kisses - Lucinda Williams, Mary Chapin Carpenter

5. baskethead

baskethead Member

Eva Cassidy covering pretty much anything is pretty amazing

6. GnR covering Sympathy for the Devil, Knocking on Heaven's Door and Live at Let Die were all WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better than the originals.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Blue font missing?

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Must have been. "Sympathy For The Devil" and especially "Live And Let Die" were way too faithful to the originals. The Gunners did better covers on The Spaghetti Incident.

9. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

Michael McDonald also does this, and rather well, I might add.
    Of course, I've always liked Michael McDonald's voice [/DoobieBrothersfanboylooser]

10. No font missing.
    The GnR versions are much better than the originals.
    I know that may fly in the face of those who pay homage to the rock gods (the ancient Stones and Dylan), but to me there is no comparision.

In fact, I think if GnR redid ALL or any of the Stones songs (louder and faster) they would be much better.

Dylan and the Stones are sensational song writers, but they can't sing a tune worth a shit.

Typically I like a lot of update versions of oldies - with a few exceptions (Unchained Melody, When a Man loves a Woman).
    There ought to be a law against anyone born after 1960 doing a god damn Christmas album and covering the songs!

11. A few on my iPod I haven't seen anyone mention yet:

Proud Mary - CCR (excellent), Ike & Tina Turner (stratospheric)
    Only Love Can Break Your Heart - Neil Young, Saint Etienne
    Way Down In The Hole - Tom Waits/Blind Boys of Alabama
    I Hear You Knockin' - Smiley Lewis/Dave Edmunds
    Cocaine - J.J. Cale/Clapton
    After Midnight - J.J. Cale/Clapton
    Respect - Otis/Aretha

12. Jim Tom Pinch

Jim Tom Pinch Active Member

This sounds like and odd cover by Chris Cornell's cover of Michael Jackson's Billie Jean is really cool.

Draft saved Draft deleted