1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Same Paper - Gundy In/Gundy Out

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Posted without comment because I simply don't know what to say.

http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2012-articles/december/arkansas-democrat-gazette-writers-report-mike-gundy-is-both-in-and-out-at-arkansas.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

2. Moderator1

Yeah, a d_b from the carousel thread - but this one deserves its own thread simply to discuss the why/how and all that.

I suppose it could happen anywhere but if it happened here, I'd be crazy. At least as long as I'm here.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Do we know which one was right?

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Part of the issue could be that one guy is in Fayetteville and one guy is in Little Rock.

The other issue could be that one of the guys is Wally Hall.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That's the beauty of it -- they can both be right because the one guy put in the "unless something changes" qualifier!

6. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Agree. There has to be better communication, and better management, than to allow things like that to happen.

If you're covering a coaching search for your No. 1 beat at probably the No. 1 topic in terms of reader interest in the entire paper, things like this can't slip through the cracks. You have to be fast with the news, but you have to be 100 percent sure you have it correct, too.

And good luck, Moddy.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Moddy, how do YOU coordinate use of Twitter to cover breaking news in ongoing clusterfuck stories such as coaching searches?

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yeah, I mentioned that on the coaching changes thread. "Unless something changes" means there is no way the guy can be wrong.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yeah, this smacks of columnist big-footing beat writer. Could have easily been settled outside of Twitter.

10. Moderator1

Well, that's the thing Michael - I don't. No time to run every Tweet by the big chair. One of the reasons I don't like Twitter. I just have to hope and trust my people are responsible and I have to hope if they are on the same story, they are communicating. I have them all in a column on TweetDeck so I can monitor throughout the day but once something is out there, it is out there.

Fortunately, my crew is pretty responsible. They know how I feel about retweeting. They better be damn sure it is right because if it isn't, their name (and thus ours) is now attached and I better not hear "Well, they got it wrong!!" NO, NO. We got it wrong.

Twitter has its uses but I still think the journalism world would be better without it. Can we get Calvin and Hobbes back as a trade?

11. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I would think they are followers of each other on Twitter, so if one writer sees a Tweet and gets different information, there are other ways to handle it rather than just blasting out a Tweet that goes (mostly) against the first writer's report.

12. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

The journalism world can't ignore Twitter.

That's where I get all my news. And if you aren't in on the conversation via Twitter, I'm not going to your Web site to check and see what you have reported.

Draft saved Draft deleted