1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sam Zell tells Orlando Sentinel photog: F%#k you.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Simon_Cowbell, Feb 4, 2008.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Private ownership!

2. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Put the puppies in a box, take the box to Iraq - then think outside the box! Monetize the brand! Across all platforms! Fuck you!

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Puppies aside, Zell comes across as warm and generous and someone who really seems to love and respect journalists. So that's a good thing for all the Tribune employees.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

:) :D ;D

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Possibly. But it doesn't change the fact that I've heard nothing good from them.

6. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Did he say "F**k you"?

Or perhaps "It's up to you"?

The Utube clip was pretty unclear on my machine.

7. I'm going to start punctuating everything with "fuck you!" It works.

8. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

A few facts:
    >>>There are no more Tribune employees (unless you're talking about the 550 editorial staff of the Chicago Tribune). The company doesn't exist.
    >>>At sale and under the leadership of Dennis Fitzsimmons and Tribune Towers, that company was worth 29% of what it was eight years ago.
    >>>Depending on the paper, between 18-28% of the editorial staff was trimmed in eight years. In addition, veterans have been replaced with less experienced journalists. Staff turnover at some destination papers nearing 40%.
    >>>In eight years, the L.A. Times -- any day now -- will have its fifth editor. And, in coming months, probably a fifth publisher.

Yeah. I would yearn for the good ol' Tribune Days and a broken business model and philosophy.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So what do we call former Tribune employees?

Zell zombies?

10. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

You've described very accurately the frying pan - only time will tell if Zell's the fire.

http://poynter.org/column.asp?id=45

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-workrules5feb05,1,1965053.story

11. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I agree he comes off like the "nutty uncle."
    But, it has to be better than the previous regime of "used car salesmen." You know? The kind you can't trust. Leave the bad taste in your mouth. And are always trying to sell you the $1,500 upholstery sealant.

12. WoodyWommack

WoodyWommack Member

I never heard him say "F you"

Draft saved Draft deleted