1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sam Zell Has a Plan

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Michael_ Gee, Jun 5, 2008.

1. captzulu

captzulu Member

I had the same thought too, and if that's the case, I can't blame her for doing so, not in this day and age where you're lucky to still have a job in the biz.

2. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

No question that these days, you have to do what you have to do.

Even in the past, though, I found that designers can justify a new, super-busy design just a few months after endorsing a very quiet design "aimed to showcase our content, rather than noisily call attention to ourselves."

3. captzulu

captzulu Member

That's the thing with design. A lot of it is how you sell it. I'm not saying that there isn't any difference between good and bad design; there definite is. But when it comes to two good designs done with different approaches, you can pan or praise one or the other with equal validity; it just depends on what you focus on and how you spin it. It could be "clean" or "boring", "dynamic" or "overwhelming". Basically, it's PR.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I wonder when people are going to realize that it doesn't matter how many different dresses and shades of make-up you put on the product, no one is going to read it as long as:

1. It keeps getting worse
    2. You're also giving away this shitty product for free elsewhere

Stupid redesigns are not the answer. Why are these people so clueless? Do they really think people out there are going to say, "You know, I read the paper less and less, and I'm becoming more and more comfortable with this internet thing, so I'm thinking of cancelling my subscription. ... What's that you say? More crazy colors and innovative visual stimuli? Hmm... Yeah, I think I will continue to subscribe."

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Those of us who aren't Trib employees aren't allowed to look at such things.
    So fail.

6. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

I have the answer. Do another redesign and incorporate the Sportflicks 3-D concept used in the baseball card brand of the same name. They could have a 3-D cover that changes the stories and photos depending on the angle at which you observe it. They could put 12 stories on the cover, four for each of the three angles! Newspapers are saved!

7. JayFarrar

A British magazine did that for one of its covers.
    It was actually pretty freaking awesome.

8. captzulu

captzulu Member

Try this link:
    http://visualeditors.ning.com/video/video/show?id=1985197%3AVideo%3A22737

9. JayFarrar

thanks I assume Bonita is the Bo on the other site.

I agree on the inside pages, has sort of a magazine look but on a broadsheet.

Section fronts looked interesting as well. I've always wondered about sports though. With multiple deadlines and late-breaking news, it is very difficult to have magazine look.

10. captzulu

captzulu Member

Yeah. That's one thing I wonder about this redesign. I like the inside pages and section fronts in that slideshow, but a lot of that is due to the good illustrations and the more magazine-esque treatment. That's fine and all when you're doing prototypes, but I wonder how well they can keep that up on a day-to-day basis.

Draft saved Draft deleted