1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sam Zell … dead

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by matt_garth, May 18, 2023.

1. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

He called himself "The Grave Dancer." He deserves a fate worse than death.

matt_garth likes this.
  3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

He didn't call himself the grave dancer. Others gave him the nickname. And it was because of his ability to buy things on their deathbed and bring them back to life, particularly real estate. The nickname wasn't what you apparently think.

I get that people on this board are not going to like the guy, because he overlevered the Trib and it led to its bankruptcy. It's not like he somehow got rich at the expense of anyone else for his stupidity. He lost hundreds of millions of dollars of his own money, and it was undoubtedly his worst deal.

For the life of me, I can't understand an "a fate worse than death" sentiment for Sam Zell. I wouldn't expect most people to be particularly enamored with him, but I expect to see stuff like your post for when serial killers and child rapists die.

5. CD Boogie

Dude, it's in the first line of the story. Ya read it?

"Sam Zell, the billionaire investor who called himself “the Grave Dancer” for his bets on distressed assets,"

6. The Big Ragu

Nope, I hadn't. I still don't get the sentiments.

7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

From the Crain’s story:

Sam Zell, the billionaire investor who called himself “the Grave Dancer” for his bets on distressed assets, including a losing wager that drove the Tribune Co. into bankruptcy, has died. He was 81.

8. CD Boogie

Well, we should never let not knowing what we're talking about interfere with our hot takes. Carry on

9. The Big Ragu

What I do know: 1) Why you would pick on "grave dancer" as a negative makes no logical sense. He had a reputation for bringing things back from the dead. Thus, that nickname. 2) "A fate worse than death" for him is really harsh.

10. CD Boogie

grave-dancer

You're operating with a different definition of a grave dancer.

And again, the story in the Chicago Business Journal says he gave the nickname to himself. But please, keep operating with your own understanding of what a grave dancer is.

RIP, grave dancer.

11. The Big Ragu

I am telling you why he was called that. As an investor, he had a reputation as a turn around artist. He looked for businesses on their death bed and was trying to revive them.

12. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Didn't he tell employees to fuck off during a town hall? I swear it was that or something similar.

But let's all go for decorum here. It's what Sam would have wanted.

FileNotFound and tapintoamerica like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted