1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sam Mellinger Covers a Difficult Subject,

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dkphxf, Feb 18, 2011.

1. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

you are correct again HanSen, well said.
    I don't care what athletes put up on Twitter, follow a favorite athlete if you wish, but if you're not telling me what tipped you off on the blitzing linebacker on that winning drive, I don't really care much.

2. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

HanSen, I understand your not taking athletes' opinions seriously, but there are millions of fans that worship these guys and gals. Can/will this industry avoid reporting on the Luke Scotts of the world?

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, they probably won't, not when they seem to care more about Donald Trump and Lindsay Lohan than, say, California's economic woes or the latest Bin Laden still dead stories. What it really boils down to is space though. Just because it's written doesn't mean I have to use it, and, with that ever-shrinking news hole, I'd just as soon run stories of greater general interest than the ramblings of Luke Scott or Bruno Mendenhall.

4. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

I understand why the media cover Lindsey Lohan and stories like that, but why give such viewpoints a broadcast like this? For example, the Westboro Church members. They protested the funerals and then thanked the media for providing them with a megaphone (or something to that effect). No coverage means no spreading of their skewed beliefs. Why not treat it like middle school lacrosse?

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I don't think that's our call, not if we're going to be true to journalism. You can report something, but that doesn't mean you endorse it. A lot of readers get hung up on the fact that, while we cover Podunk High, we don't live and die with them as a fan does. Do you think a cops/courts reporter, by writing about bank robberies and murders, is encouraging such activities? At least lets hope not.

6. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

I don't think the reporter is supporting such actions by writing about those things, but those things are important to the community -- where is there crime, who's been killed, etc.

But why does it matter whether Luke Scott believes Obama was born or not born in Hawaii? I believe this type of sensationalizing, taking advantage of a strange viewpoint because you need something, strengthens those viewpoints in the public's eye. For example, when suicides are reported, more people commit suicide, thinking it's more of a societal norm.

Why can't the media just ignore stories like this? Are we really that desperate and lack the reporting skills to chase real stories?

Draft saved Draft deleted