1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sam Mellinger Covers a Difficult Subject,

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dkphxf, Feb 18, 2011.

1. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/02/12/2651357/tommy-morrison-now-42-still-clings.html

How would you suggest handling such an odd subject as this?

2. I thought Sam did a great job. He injected just the right amount of skepticism, but he didn't belittle Morrison. Excellent story.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Interviewed Livingstone Bramble one night several years ago before he got the crap knocked out of him by someone I had never heard of but was 15 years younger. Bramble just couldn't move at all and was a punching bag. It was so sad.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Most stories of former boxers are sad. Mellinger could have painted this with the same broad brushstrokes that cover so many of those stories, but Morrison is so unique in his patheticness that Mellinger just let him speak. Morrison is all sorts of crazy.

5. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sir,

He tried to pick up my missus at a bar up in Canastota on the Boxing HOF induction weekend. Nice guy once it got straightened out. Can't blame him for trying.

YHS, etc

6. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

One of the first stories on Tommy Morrison and the HIV rumors, from one of the first issues of ESPN: The Magazine, by Tom Friend: http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3247534

7. billikens

billikens Member

Fantastic story. Losing Posnanski and Whitlock during the last two years were rough on the KC Sports section, but Mellinger has really stepped up.

I rarely read comments on the web, but I started looking through the posts about this one and, what do you know, Tommy Morrison himself pops up more than a few times. My favorite:

Hey Sam -
    It took you a year to write this article? Your memory must be fading a little...I remember talking to you about my first paperback BOOK:
    TOMMY: My Boxing Career...you said you were going to mention it...guess you must have forgotten to write it on the back of your hand bro!
    For all the "denialists" on HIV....you can't spread something that doesn't exist....so "Trisha" the "mensa idiot" after 3 years does not test "positive"...now "what" does that tell you?
    Sam- really appreciate you keeping the HIV HYPOTHESIS (which means "theory" ) out there in the public...let's do another interview bro on just that subject.
    To buy my book..so Trish and I can afford to go eat at more expensive restaurants of your caliber go to my website:
    www.TommyTheDukeMorrison.com
    Appreciate you showing us a photo of your dog Sam.
    And FYI...the GYM is 20 minutes drive from where I live (each way)...and YES I have taken quite a few hits on the head..but I can chew bubble gum, walk,talk and work a blackberry and GPS !
    God Bless you Sam looking forward to the next one man...bring your gloves with you..OH and don't forget your boots!
    (and by the way...you forgot to mention that there is NO.. repeat NO ...test on the market that detects the presence or the absence of the HIV VIRUS.....ask Dr.Gallo and the FDA and the CDC yourself.

8. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Thanks for pointing that story out.

I thought it was really well-done.

I am not so sure I needed to start reading the comments. ;)

9. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Something like this would work: http://goo.gl/EzHGp

10. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Mellinger covered infamous birther Luke Scott in a recent column: http://www.kansascity.com/2011/05/03/2847923/being-an-athlete-doesnt-make-you.html. Should we, as journalists, be giving these (insert your own word depending on your political allegiance, but I would say crazies) the opportunity to speak on topics like this? We have the megaphone to reach our audience. Should we use that for certain segments of the population?

11. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

can't get it via the link anymore...did they take it down?

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Granted, what we do in sports isn't rocket surgery, but I lump jocks' opinons on anything outside the lines in the same category as the opinions of entertainers and socialites on things outside their areas of expertise: It's great fodder for the talk shows and it fills the news cycle, but in the big picture, who gives a flying fork?

Draft saved Draft deleted