1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Salt Lake?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Anyone know anything?

2. spud

spud Member

"The retirements are part of a major restructure of The Tribune news operation, which will include laying off 17 full-time and two part-time employees. All told, The Tribune staff will be reduced by almost 20 percent. The cuts help position the organization to adapt and respond to changes that affect the entire newspaper industry."

Saw on Twitter a couple sports guys confirm they're still in office. Not sure how this cuts through editorial, but brutal any way you slice it.

3. Provonian

Provonian New Member

I haven't heard anything, but I have several friends who work at the Trib. I'm hoping for the best.

I know that this seems to be a fairly natural hedging back in the SLC market. The Trib has been virtually The Newspaper for serious news junkies for the past several years, but it's constant need to publish Web-first has also led to a drop in circulation (from observations, at least). A couple of sports guys left last year, and they weren't replaced, or were replaced by low-level reporters who (while they tried their best) weren't up to the same chops. This may have led to a drop of online viewership, as well.

Still, Orme is a good guy, and he's been around the Trib offices for more than a decade. If you're going to overhaul the newsroom, there are many, many worse publishers that you can bring in. He's been criticized by the minority, sure, but who hasn't? And he's a journalist's journalist.

Draft saved Draft deleted