1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Salary

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by thegrifter, Aug 31, 2006.

1. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I always figured the best way to get the raise you w
    I always figured the best way to get the raise you think you deserve is to get a new job. That way you avoid the bullshit 3 percent so many papers are shoveling (though there's a 4 percent cost of living increase each year), and you advance your career. Unfortunately for some with families, up and leaving is easier said than done.

2. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

This was very interesting to read. I had one recent interview a few years back and they asked me what I made and I told them. Turned out I made too much, so they essentially eliminated me.

So, let's say they ask, how should you answer tactfully?

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Wow. I gotta save this one.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

save it, and please, shove it up your ass.

5. BH33

BH33 Member

Personally, I've never had anyone ask, so I haven't had to answer. But, if I did, I'd respond by asking them, "What does my current salary, or salary history, have to do with the job opening at your paper?" Sure, some editor may not like that answer and cross me off the list, but I just don't think it's any of their business what I have made in the past. Just offer me what you think I'm worth.

Draft saved Draft deleted