1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Salad recipes

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Feb 2, 2010.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

My girlfriend eats more raw greens than any human I have ever met (and more fruit than any human I have ever met and I am not a fruit eater, but that is a different story). It's led to us trying a zillion different salads, and we have greens at every meal, something I haven't always done. We have done variations of Red Leaf, Arugula, Spinach; just about every green you can think of, actually. Do any of you have interesting and different salads you can share, which I might not be familiar with?

I'll start with one of ours. We stole it from a take-out middle eastern place we sometimes go to.

2 bunches of watercress
    1 large cucumber
    1 large bunch of scallions
    1/3 package of baked pita chips (the ones we used are Stacy's Simply Naked Pita Chips)
    2 whole lemons
    Olive Oil
    Salt and Pepper to taste

It's actually super simple to make. Chop the watercress, cucumber (peeled) and scallions very finely and mix in a bowl. Crumble the pita chips on top. Cut the lemons in half and use a hand squeezer to squeeze the juice on top. Drizzle a little olive oil on top. Mix thoroughly and then add a bit of salt and fresh ground pepper to taste.

Any other salads -- using different things (like I never ate watercress much before we started doing this salad) -- that others like?

2. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

I love salads with interesting ingredients in them. Favorite mix-in's include:

sliced apples, craisins, blue cheese crumbles, chick peas, pecans, pears, black beans, corn, peas, beets, feta cheese, bacon bits....

3. The Big Ragu

Another one I have experimented a lot with lately is tabouli salad. It's pretty easy too, even though it turns out a bit different each time I try it.

Chopped parsley, chopped mint (about a third as much mint as parsely), scallions, tomatoes chopped fine, cooked bulgar wheat (but works with couscous too), squeezed lemon and olive oil, pepper.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I make a steak salad that's pretty good. Ingredients:

Spinach as the base
    Sliced red onion
    Sliced red peppers
    Bleu cheese crumbles
    Stir fry steak (or any thinly sliced beef)
    Dried cranberries
    Sliced almonds
    Vinaigrette as the dressing

5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

My wife makes this with the couscous. It's pretty good, especially as a side dish.

6. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Can't vouch for the nutritional value of this one...

7. The Big Ragu

OK. Since you went there. 1) This is NSFW. 2) It is wrong in every way possible.

Chris Rock didn't make that up. I think this is the clip he was talking about:

And anyone who wants to stay on topic. ... Would still love GREEN salad ideas.

Draft saved Draft deleted