1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Saints lineman suspended - STEROID-RELATED

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Blitz, Dec 7, 2006.

1. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I've been saying for years that most all NFL linemen MUST be using enhancers.
    These guys are too, too big for me to think otherwise.
    ---------------
    By LARRY HOLDER
    lholder@sunherald.com
    METAIRIE, La. - The New Orleans Saints suffered a blow to their defensive line Tuesday when the NFL suspended defensive tackle Hollis Thomas for four games for violating league policy on anabolic steroids and related substances.

Thomas' suspension without pay begins immediately and will last through the end of the regular season. He will be able to return to the roster on Jan. 1, which would be in time for the playoffs.

Ron Slavin, Thomas' agent, said Thomas tested positive for clenbuterol on Aug. 6 during training camp. Thomas appealed the suspension, but the league ruled against him Tuesday.

Slavin said Thomas' asthma medicine caused the positive test.

In a letter written to the league by Saints team doctor John R. Amoss on Oct. 31, it said Thomas has "severe asthma and requires high dose inhaled steroids."

Thomas was taking Advair, which contains a steroid fluticasone and a beta agonist salmeterol, and an albuterol inhaler at the time of the positive test.

Clenbuterol, the banned substance, is also a beta agonist.

"At the time of the test, Hollis was taking two beta agonist to control his asthma (albuterol and salmeterol) and the possibility of a false positive test in this case would appear to be highly plausible," Amoss wrote.

Thomas is a known asthmatic and has spoken to schools and groups about his condition and has been an advocate for asthma awareness.

The Saints acquired Thomas and a fourth-round pick, which became starting right guard Jahri Evans, during this year's draft in a trade with the Philadelphia Eagles for the Saints' fourth-round pick.

Thomas, who is in his 11th year in the league, is having one of his best seasons, with 43 tackles and 3.5 sacks. He has helped improve the Saints' defensive line, which struggled mightily last season.

Antwan Lake and Rodney Leisle are likely to fill in for Thomas at defensive tackle.

The beefy 6-foot, 305-pound Thomas doesn't exactly have the most ripped physique, Slavin said, and it wouldn't make any sense for Thomas to get bigger.

"Why would he do something that would make him bigger?" Slavin said. "That's my argument. He has to be 335 pounds or he'll get fined by the team. It's just really frustrating."

Slavin said angrily that he wasn't surprised by the league's decision even though the positive test might have been triggered by Thomas' asthma medication.

"When does the NFL go with anybody?" Slavin said. "They don't care."

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Dude...it's THURSDAY MORNING and you're posting something from Tuesday in ALL CAPS LIKE IT'S NEWS.

WTF?

3. Dude

Dude Well-Known Member

Maybe DB stole his password?

???

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Sorry Dude, didn't mean to address that to you.

:D

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Why does any story ever, ever, use an agent as a source of presumably factual information?? ::) ::)

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

We generally remove agent quotes from everything, and usually their name as well.

Did anyone see the 19 inches of bullshit agent-talk in the J.D. Drew story? Barf.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I wish I hadn't.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The agent's job is to always present his client in the most positive, commercially advantageous and marketable light possible, and always to minimize, conceal or deny any and all negative information.

It must always be assumed that anything an agent says is at the very least, a highly selective and distorted version of the truth, and probably equally likely, completely fabricated bullshit.

No quote from an agent should ever appear in a news story -- except to be cited as probably an example of manufactured disinformation.

9. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Did someone already post this topic or story?
    If so, I was unaware of it.
    Pass it over if you aren't interested. We (the media) tend to pass over doing much reporting on the steroid issue far more times than we report on it with our various teams we cover.

10. Dude

Dude Well-Known Member

Just one of the problems of using a generic SN. No prob.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

You mean you don't think he's going to go 30-30 on a team that never runs while curing AIDS?

12. Same reason people quote front-office officials, or Bud Selig on anything, I reckon.

Draft saved Draft deleted