1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"said Podunk coach Joe Jones" vs. "Podunk coach Joe Jones said"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Kayaugstin Kott, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Also, funny anecdote: Once read in a paper (might have been the Hartford Courant) the following:

"I have no explanation," coach Frank Jones explained.

2. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

An easy way to think about it: Replace the name with a pronoun.

"Fuck this," he said.

"Fuck this," said he.

If you're Chaucer, fine. Otherwise you sound like a twat.

3. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

One of our local papers has done that for as long as I can remember. "Said" for the first quote, and a different word for every one after that. Stated. Recalled. Related. Admitted. Lamented. Pointed out. Continued. Emphasized. (Those were all in the same story!)
    But they've hired two younger guys in the last year who actually know how to write, so I have some hope for their future.

Ace likes this.
  4. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

The active/passive differentiation cited isn't correct.

Active: subject is active in executing the verb (He did something.)
    Passive: what would have been the subject in an active voice is replaced by what would have been the object of the verb (Something was done by him.)

Active is in almost every case more effective, lively, powerful. Among the exceptions are certain idioms. "We wuz robbed" kills it; "The refs robbed us of the game" falls short.

Draft saved Draft deleted