1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"said Podunk coach Joe Jones" vs. "Podunk coach Joe Jones said"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Kayaugstin Kott, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

That shit used to drive me bananas.
    Best explanation I read was always use said because after a while, the reader stops reading the word and starts focusing more on the quote, or something like that.

2. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I feel the opposite, that "said Xxxxx" is clunky and "Xxxx said" is conversational.

franticscribe likes this.
  3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Action verbs sometimes help ...

"They got hosed!" Kiffin ejaculated.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

As I said on another thread this week, I keep coming back here because it makes me laugh out loud at least once a day.

5. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Paxil works great.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sometimes, if I have a long quote then introduce a new speaker real fast without wanting to make up some kind of half-assed transition, I will do this:

"I've always said that if Ivanka weren't my daughter, I'd be dating her," Trump said. "I mean, look at her."
    Said Starman: "See. Trump wants to HAVE SEX WITH HIS DAUGHTER!"

7. Riptide

Fixed that for you.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

See, I would put "said so-and-so" in the rare cases the identification comes in front of the quote.

Donny in his element likes this.
  9. Riptide

Blue font, sorry!

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Damn editors!

11. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

I agree with all of this, but, like Ace's Trump/daughter thing shows, I think there's a time and place for less-conversational usage. (And that's why I liked it, not for prurient reasons.)

My boilerplate line when someone would argue about a suggested change to copy that was slightly less conversational: If we want to use solely conversational language, think about a baseball story ... no more bullpen, mound, fastball ... pen, bump, heater.

I, for one, don't want to read that stuff. Our writing shouldn't read like a SQL manual, but it shouldn't read like Beavis and Butt-head, either .

12. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

I've done the same thing as with Ace's example.

We're always taught to write in active voice. I've always thought "xxxx said" is written in active voice, and "said xxxx" is passive.

Draft saved Draft deleted