1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SAG Awards thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shotglass, Jan 25, 2009.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Very good point. Our entire 40something, 50something desk stopped cold for the three minutes.

"Oh, I didn't know he died."

"Yeahhhhhh ... she was wonderful."

2. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Yeah, I'd forgotten that Harvey Korman's time had come. The family always watched the Carol Burnett Show together and I've never forgotten how hard it was for him to control himself when Tim Conway was carrying on.

3. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Um ... are Scientologists not allowed to wear bras?

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Watching the repeat now ... Ernest Borgnine...92 years old and coherent!

5. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Yeah, right.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The best thing about the SAG awards is that they only honor actors (people we've heard of), it's only two hours, the RIP reel, and their lifetime achievement award usually goes to an actor who has kicked around for years but never been given his or her day in the sun. (Though I must admit, as much as I enjoy James Earl Jones, his resume is somewhat thin. He's always pretty much the same guy in movies). But the RIP reel was good, figured Brad Renfro might finally make one with his co-star Susan Sarandon introed the bit alas. Especially like the nods to the character actors.
    As for the awards, I felt like Phil Connors seeing John Adams, Laura Dern, Mad Men, 30 Rock, Winslet, Ledger and Slumdog pick up trophies. (Where was Needle Nose Ned?) The Oscars are going to be pretty boring or people will be pissed off. Streep was funny though.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I can't stress enough how good I feel that Mad Men is getting the acclaim it deserves. Anyone who has not gotten to see it should be looking for the first-season DVD tomorrow -- and give yourself an episode or two to get invested in the characters.

8. DanOregon

Biggest shock of the night is realizing that Elizabeth Moss is really engaged to Fred Armisen. WTF?

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

He probably makes her laugh.

I guess it's nice he can do that for someone.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Just happened last week, or that's when I saw the news. He's like 18 years her senior or something.

I just liked seeing a pic of John Slattery. One of my white-haired crushes. Mmmm.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Remember, he married Ethel Merman, for about twenty minutes. His lifetime coherence rating is debatable.

12. DanOregon

Just don't ask him his "secret."

Draft saved Draft deleted