1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sad time for the Tar Heels

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NightOwl, Mar 8, 2008.

1. NightOwl

NightOwl Guest

Don't think this has been posted yet, so hope it's not a DB.

Eve Carson, UNC student-body president and a special young woman by all accounts, murdered this week in Chapel Hill. This is the straight news story, but there are follow-ups out there.

http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2008Mar07/0,4670,StudentPresidentKilled,00.html

It's a very sad situation. Probably will be covered in the UNC-Duke broadcast Saturday night, and the Tar Heels have some extra incentive on top of the rivalry and all that.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

ESPN will have to have more on it, and Duke plans to have something in Cameron before the game Saturday night. ESPN broadcast comments from both Roy and K on Friday night.

RIP Eve and best wishes to her family in an obviously trying time.

3. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Another female at Auburn was murdered earlier in the week.

Sad.

4. John

John Well-Known Member

Carson and I both went to Clarke Central High School in Athens, Ga., though she clearly accomplished a lot more there than I did more than a decade ago. I know a lot of folks in Athens and at the school especially were hit really hard by this because she was apparently everything you could hope for in a student, leader, friend, etc. I can't even fathom what her family is going through.

And when I heard about the Auburn murder my first thought was to wonder if these were somehow connected, if only because they seem so unlikely.

5. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

What the hell is happening to college campuses? I never felt unsafe at the University of Kansas and that was just 10 years ago. Now it's like any college campus/town is a prime area for murder.

6. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Honestly, I think the car-jackers/robbers/psychopaths of the world are realizing that college campuses are easy prey. Students think they own the world, and do not play it very safe. They're large, but many areas have little more than foot traffic (sparse at night). It's not well-lit.
    And blue lights aren't going to fix the problem.

7. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

This didn't happen on campus. Just near it. The street she lived on is a narrow alley close to Franklin Street, and the place she was found is a well-to-do neighborhood about a mile away. I'm not sure there is a whole lot colleges can do to protect students when they are off campus, and I wouldn't want to see some kind of crazy over-reaction to a rare, random crime, anyway.

This morning cops released a clear ATM photo of a guy using her bank card in what appears to be her car: http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/2545076/

I'm a grad student at UNC, and I had only seen her in passing. But this has had a tremendous effect on the campus. Much worse than when I was an undergrad at another school and there were some random killings of students.

She clearly connected with a broad range of people in the university community. Heck the Board of Trustees, of which she was a member as the student body president, put up a $25,000 reward yesterday. And the way the chancellor talked about her, you could tell he had a personal connection. The guy can probably recognize five students by name, and four of them are on the basketball team.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

App, I have a feeling there will be no mercy from judges and juries on people from the lower sectors coming onto college campuses and committing crimes.

If this is a random crazy person, I guess that would not scare me as much as gangs coming in and robbing students.

Also, didn't UNC lose their mascot to a hit-and-run a few years ago around tourney time?

If this is black on white crime... I just do not think that area of the country needs another legal case with racial undertones after the Duke Lax players.

And yes, I do feel there is a big difference in police involvement and media coverage if a white coed is killed by black gang members than if a black coed is killed by gang members. That said, I think it a random crazy person. I don't think it is a gang member involved.

Wire fans, remember what was bumped by a house fire in the suburbs.

9. 93Devil

Shit. Nice photo.

10. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

My campus, and me personally, have been hit hard with lots of random violence this semester. Much more than at any time in the past and I live in a very safe area. It definitely seems that this kind of thing is becoming more prevalent.

RIP Eve, thoughts and prayers with her family and friends.

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Thanks, dude. I'm sure I was the only one on this board waiting to watch Season 5.

EDIT: Don't mean to take away from the horrible tragedy that happened to Ms. Carson. As a journo in ACC country (and a person that lost an old friend to a home invasion a few months ago in the old college town) I can't even begin to imagine how much hurt this must have caused in Chapel Hill.

12. 93Devil

Is it college students committing violence against each other or non-college students coming in and hurt college students?

UVA had a recent graduate, but still lived in the campus area, murdered in her home by a couple of lower class members a few months ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted