1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sad news if you live in Central VA - No more RBraves?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 93Devil, Jan 15, 2008.

1. I used to cover a collegiate wood-bat league at a previous stop. One of the more enjoyable experiences I've had in this business.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Sheeeeeet, if you can't make it from Gwinnett Center to Turner Field in 40 minutes ... you need a heavier right foot.

3. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

depends on traffic, of course

4. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

True on the hush puppies, but I think the smallness to them only adds to the flavor. I'll give some props to Bill's strawberry pie too.

Why not. Being from NC originally, I tend to like my Que Lexington-style (Nothing beats The Monk), but I've been wanting to try the Smokey Pig for quite a while.

5. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

And if it's raining, which apparently has a 100% correlation to heavy traffic. Atlantans drive in rain like northerners drive in snow and ice. Well, actually not that good.

Can also reduce transit time by having a blow up doll in the passenger seat to make use of the HOV lane,

Or so I've heard.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Those entertainment dollars still have to come from somewhere. Yes, minor league games draw a lot of non-fans who go just to see the local equivalent of the Sausage Race or to meet the Chicken, but some fans will be siphoned from the Braves, too.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Hell, it is why THEY bolted.
    He's no longer SE?
    We're out of that burg.

Interesting couple of days. Our baseball guy has a good story in the works for tomorrow but it doesn't look as if Richmond will be without baseball. Moving a minor-league team not owned by the big league club is not quite as simple as it sounds.

I may go face plant a strawberry pie at Bill's once this one is done.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Usually teams won't announce a move until the end of the season, to avoid an empty house in their final season at the old haunt. It happened when they moved the Class-A team to State College, then they wouldn't confirm an affiliate swap until the end of the next season.

9. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I thought Atlanta did own the Richmond franchise.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

It does. That's why it could up and move when the lease allowed.
    Moving one NOT owned by the big-league team isn't that easy. The Nationals, for instance, can't just say we'll take Richmond. Someone else owns the team in Columbus.

But a disgruntled owner in the IL or another league COULD move his team to Richmond. Whether his affiliate will agree is another matter.

11. Traffic in Gwinnett will suffer with game traffic, but at least it would be easier to get to than the Ted...and cheaper (maybe)

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Buzz and Ned's does a fine BBQ, but agreed about mediocrity of Bill's. Would rather hit Extra Billy's than that.

Given how long it's taking the region to handle a stadium when they have an AAA team with a longstanding relationship with Atlanta (protip: what's now the R-Braves once were the Atlanta Crackers, and what's the A-Braves were then Milwaukee), I can't imagine how hard it'll be to actually lure a team.

Hell, build the bloody thing in Goochland.

And finally, something important to Richmond is retreating. Who saw THAT coming?

Draft saved Draft deleted