1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sad news if you live in Central VA - No more RBraves?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 93Devil, Jan 15, 2008.

1. BartonK

BartonK Active Member

I thought the point of having a AAA affiliate in Richmond and a AA affiliate in Jackson was that the Braves were basically claiming the Southeast as their fanbase

And what does it mean for minor league sports if every Major League club contracts its affiliates to a 100-mile radius? There will be huge swaths of the country without professional baseball, except for those poorly-run independent leagues.

2. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Since the Rockies have had their Triple-A affiliate down the road in Colorado Springs for years.

3. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

The Braves high-A club is in Rome, which is roughly halfway between Atlanta and Chattanooga. They also have a really nice ballpark, as do the AA Mississippi Braves.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

There are 11 pages (and growing) of comments following the T-D's story of the R-Braves leaving. Not all are in favor of baseball, but obviously somebody there still cares.

They could also build a new stadium in Carytown on the site of current U of R (City) Stadium when the Spiders abandon that old POS and move back to campus in 2010. But that is prime real estate, unlike the current site of the Diamond on N. Boulevard.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Would be tough to make a romanticized baseball movie today about the minor-league star who finally gets the call-up to the Show. Instead of making the all-night bus ride through the hinterlands, now he'll hop in the car in Duluth, stop at the Mall of Georgia for a fresh pair of Dockers and 40 minutes later pull into Atlanta.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Is the West End out of the question?

I think the current site is nice with the I-64 and I-95 location, but how much traffic does a minor league game create?

I also agree aboutthe site. The only redeeming qualities of the current site are two good BBQ places in walking distance.

7. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Bill's has good limeades, but I wouldn't say that about the Que.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Tasty hush puppies as well, but too small.

SportsJournalists.com outing in Ashland at the Smokey Pig?

9. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

good clarification, Smokey. St Louis was intended to refer to the city as opposed to the ball club with the message being that not only could major/minor league baseball co-exist in the same city, but even with view of each other.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Don't forget the Bass Pro. That's almost more popular than the entire Mall of Georgia, and right down the road from the Gwinnett Center. ;)

And you're right. Minor league baseball, as Crash Davis knew it, is just about dead. ... But what's spawned in its place is still an excellent way to spend a summer evening or a Sunday afternoon.

11. Hammer Pants

12. Hammer Pants

Agreed. I'm a college beat guy who still asks to cover a few minor-league games in the summer. Some call me crazy for it, but dammit, I love baseball.

Draft saved Draft deleted