1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sad news from Grand Rapids

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Furry Tractor, May 14, 2010.

1. Furry Tractor

Furry Tractor Member

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

This is terrible news that hits way too close to home.

Gary's son Chris is one of my best friends, we had many journalism classes together in college and lived in the same dorm. I had the pleasure of meeting Gary a few times and he was a nice dude.

I got the news last night on facebook after I landed in Las Vegas. Chris was supposed to be on this trip but he went to Florida with his family instead - which shows how tight knit the Bonds are. I haven't vacationed with my family in 8 years.

Even sadder is that Garys daughter graduates from high school next week. Same thing happened to my cousin last year. She had to walk the week after her dad died of a massive heart attack at 49.

This was almost exactly a year and it pisses me off. Too young. We as journalists need to start being healthier so this stuff doesn't happen

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Hey Furry... just to clarify. Gary wasn't at the ballpark; he was going to work that night's Whitecaps game and wasn't feeling well, so he called someone else to substitute. Apparently things went downhill from there really fast.

Just wanted to make sure the story was out there. Suffice to say Gary will be GREATLY missed by everyone. I echo being healthy; this is a wake-up call for a lot of us.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Did Gary cover Michigan State women's hoops for the paper?

5. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Hey, I'm 55 and nearly three years removed from triple bypass surgery, so I can echo what's been said about eating and living healthier. I was lucky. I had an angina attack and when they went in and did a heart cath, they found the blockages. I didn't know Gary Bond, but my thoughts are with his family and friends.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Yes, MSU womens hoops, Grand Rapids Rampage (Afl) West Michigan Whitecaps, etc.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Both times the team I covered has been to the NCAAs, Michigan State was there as well. That's why the name sounded familiar. RIP and prayers to his family.

Draft saved Draft deleted