1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sad Day in Orlando

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by otownguy, Nov 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lynn_Hoppes

Lynn_Hoppes Member

Zach is a great young writer/editor/videographer/social media whiz. He didn't deserve to be let go. If the future of the news business is internet/video/blogging/social media, then I'd think you'd want a person who loves working 24-7 for not a lot of money. But, hey, I no longer work there. Not the choice I would have made.

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

If this isn't another persuasive scrap of evidence to throw on the mountain of "Get out! Get out now!" I don't know what is.

A person needs to "love" working 24/7 for not a lot of money. And it still might not keep him or her employed. And there are bosses like Hoppes who think all but that last little part is just peachy.

YOU work 24/7 for not a lot of money, ya piece-a. YOU skip supporting a family or owning a home or having a life outside of work, all because some SE or ME thinks you need to do way more for way less.

Zach might realize some day that the layoff is the best thing that ever happened to his career, if he has the good sense to stay away for good. Too many jerks in hiring capacity who think like Hoppes.

3. Lynn_Hoppes

Lynn_Hoppes Member

you misunderstood my statement. i'm saying he isn't paid a lot of money now. not that he wants to be paid little. but it's not logical to ax someone who has so much potential in this business.

4. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Joe, you make some very good points.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I would guess logic hasn't been used in about 95 percent of the layoffs this business has had in the last 4+ years.

6. Raiders

Raiders Guest

Sounds like Hoppes' successor is expected to consult him more often.

7. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Shouldn't Hoppes be giving a Jonas brother a tour of the ESPN3.com studios or something?

8. Mizzougrad96

I know Hoppes is an easy target here, but trust me when you've lost your job and a former boss reaches out to you and says kind things, it means the world to you...

9. otownguy

otownguy New Member

From what I know, Zach took assignments anywhere they asked him to. I used to see his byline on college football, among other things.

10. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

During the missed hockey season, our hockey writer covered a baseball game now and then and did several obituaries on people who weren't dead yet to have them almost ready to go if the dude died on deadline.

11. Mizzougrad96

In 1999, it was a disaster at my paper. The national guy refused to write about anything other than hoops. He wouldn't even help with siders at NFL games. Complete prima donna asshole... Still is...

The beat writer helped out every way they were asked.

12. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Is the national guy still there? That's the kind of shit that should put these prima donnas at the very top of the layoff list.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.