1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sad Day in Orlando

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by otownguy, Nov 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Yeah, but it's only open three days a week.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Whew.

I thought Goofy had been caught showering with Donald Duck's nephews.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

whew! i feared 'the doll house' had burned to the ground.

4. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

HAHAHAHAHAH!!!!

LAYOFFS ARE HILARIOUS!!!

HAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This times 1,000. Although I think if the thread had been placed on the journalism board, or if it was announced in the thread title that it was layoffs and not, "Hey, this guy is gone..." it might have gotten a different reaction.

6. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Yeah, point taken on it being on the wrong board.

But still, Jesus fucking Christ. A guy lost his job.

7. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The framing of this thread is all wrong, but I do wonder if we can steer the conversation toward how you handle your NBA reporter if there isn't an NBA season?

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I guess you lay him off.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't think this guy was the lead Magic writer. But I would not be surprised to see NBA writers targeted if there's no season. Newspapers won't want to pay someone's salary if the season winds up being canceled.

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well it's a good point, but it's not that simple, really.

Unless you have an army covering the NBA and you decide, "Well, even when they return, we're going to cut back anyway," there's a lot of cost to letting somebody go and rehiring when the NBA comes back, so for the most part, I think you simply use him/her somewhere else and have them cover the labor part of it until the NBA returns.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I agree. And at this point, no one has an army covering the NBA. The Washington Post is down to one writer, Michael Lee, who used to cover the league but now covers the Wizards as well. The Boston Globe has Gary Washburn on the NBA and Julian Benbow on the Celtics, but I believe that's it. Los Angeles Times has three NBA writers, if not two, left to cover two teams now that they laid off Heisler. The New York Times hasn't moved to replace Jonathan Abrams, so it's down to Howard Beck and occasionally Harvey Araton. Chicago Tribune has K.C. Johnson and not much help.

You keep the NBA writer and for now ask him to bulk up your NHL or college basketball coverage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.