1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sad and confusing day in Norfolk

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Andy _ Kent, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

Gotta love the headline and the second and third grafs in the face of totally turning upside down the lives of so many employees:

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/04/pilot-lay-40-executives-say-outlook-brighter

2. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Nevertheless, The Pilot's financial outlook is brightening, said Maurice "some people call me Maurrrrr-ice!!!!" Jones, the president and publisher.

"But I speak, as the pompous ass of love (for newspapers)."

Combined, the newspaper and its associated companies turned a profit in the first quarter of the year .... which declined to disclose figures.

(Natch.)

March was The Pilot's most robust month in at least a year, he said, with every unit recording a profit.

I bet there's some robust units thereabouts.

Thanks for the link Andy.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Confirms my suspicion. You're not LOSING money, you're MAKING money, just not fast enough to suit your greedy ass.

4. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

Breaking out the Steve Miller Band reference? Nice! Oh, and this guy truly sounds like a "Joker."

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Shitty headline.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The same can be said about the publisher.

7. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

That's what I meant. Probably should have put that first part of my post in blue font.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Anybody in sports?

9. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

Haven't been able to see any names yet, but it would not break my heart to see someone shit-bomb the door to that joker's office after his quote in the story.

10. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Yo, pub:

Brighten this pal.

11. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

And the Pilot is hiring:
    http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1042291

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If I'm a reader of the Pilot, does it really make me feel "good" to know the paper's bottom line will be better but the product will be worse?
    Whether you are selling widgets or jet engines, it has to be about the product. For too long now, newspaper companies (and others) have seen their product as being profits and not the actual thing that generates those profits. You can monkey with the books all you want, but whether a company is making .10 a share or .13 cents a share won't make me want to buy your paper.

Draft saved Draft deleted