1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sack yardage

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by wickedwritah, Oct 20, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I know we've covered this before, but a quick search ain't helping me.

Sack yards ... count as team rushing (i.e. fumble recovery) or individual rushing?

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

According to the NCAA manual, individual rushing.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Thank you. I thought that, but then I was having a moment of self-doubt.

I wish we could get the stats discussion thread stickied, since it's an immense, quick resource.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

High school and NCAA count it as individual rushing. The NFL does not.

5. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Another example of how the NFL manages to take something simple and screw it up.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

If I really stretched, I could probably make it a yard.

7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

In high school or college, it can only be on what appears to be a passing attempt. If a quarterback is tackled behind the line of scrimmage on an option play, it's not a sack.

8. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

That would really hurt to have one's scrotum knocked over the Green Monster.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's fucking great. My egg roll is trying to make a comeback.

10. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

That's true. But it would just affect defensive stats (sacks), since whether its a sack or a rush, it would still be one carry and the negative yards.

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Actually, I think counting it as passing yardage kind of makes sense. If it's clearly a passing play, and it loses yardage, why wouldn't that come off the passing total?

12. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

deskslave,
    It's only a passing play when the ball is passed forward. Although someone is in shotgun or dropping back, there is no pass — hence no passing attempt, completion or yardage — until the ball is passed.
    Of course, this is the same organization which let a defender be penalized last year for roughing the passer on a sack in which the quarterback never threw the ball.

Draft saved Draft deleted