1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sacha Baron Cohen to play Freddie Mercury in Queen Biopic

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

HIGH FIVE!

http://www.seattlepi.com/tvguide/426911_tvgif17.html

2. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Do. Not. Want.

This guy annoys the crap out of me and for them to pick him to play of the most charismatic frontment of all time...I smell a trainwreck.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

He does look like a relatively chunky Freddie Mercury, actually.

4. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I think he can do it. Obviously, he has the looks, but I think he has the chops to pull it off. Very intelligent, well-spoken actor who performed theater when he was a student at Cambridge.

I'll be very interested to see how it turns out.

5. Mizzougrad96

Completely agree. The guy who directed Frost/Nixon and The Queen is doing it, so I think the chances that it's good are very high.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The potential for chewing up scenery way too much is great in this one. Sure, there will be times when playing it over the top will fit with Freddie Mercury, but he'll have to dial it down believably. We shall see.

7. Mizzougrad96

I've heard him interviewed as a normal person on Letterman and Stern, which may be the some of the only TV interviews he's done not in character. He's very dialed back in real life. I don't think people will watch this movie and think, "Hey, there's Borat playing Freddie Mercury."

8. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I think he looks a whole lot like F.Mercury.
    Good choice based on looks, and I think Cohen is a decent actor.

9. Mizzougrad96

I think he was trained for the theater in England.

10. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I read somewhere else, he won't actually be doing the singing.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I guess it would be hard to pull off, but I sure wish he would. The actors actually singing and/or playing their instruments is one of the things I liked best about movies like "Ray," "Walk the Line," and "That Thing You Do." (I'm not sure Jamie Foxx actually played the piano in Ray, though he did do the singing).

I forgave Joaquin Phoenix for not sounding exactly like Johnny Cash (his voice wasn't quite deep enough). He had everything else down pat.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I actually think this might work very well though I don't know how much interest I have in a Queen biopic.

Draft saved Draft deleted