1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sacha Baron Cohen Banned From Oscars?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Deeper_Background, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Re: Sacha Baron Cohen Banned From Oscars

X-II

Ghostrider II? Not so much.

2. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

How many pun-filled dictator jokes can Sacha Baron Cohen fit in a minute-and-a-half video? A lot, apparently.

After rumors surfaced that Cohen was banned from walking this year's Oscars red carpet dressed as Admiral General Aladeen -- the satirical despotic character from his upcoming movie "The Dictator" -- the Academy Awards released a statement claiming that no such decision had been made regarding the star's tickets. (He is -- was? -- originally coming to this year's show in support of his role in Best Picture nominee "Hugo.")

Whatever the Academy's decision, however, it was only a matter of time before Cohen General Aladeen responded to the "ban." Obviously, he was not pleased.

"On behalf of the nation of Wadiya, I am outraged at being banned from the Oscars by the Academy of Motion Pictures of Arts and Zionists," exclaimed Aladeen. "While I applaud the Academy from taking away my right to free speech, I warn you that if you do not lift your sanctions and give me my tickets back by 12 p.m. on Sunday, you will face unimaginable consequences."

Aladeen also makes an effort to campaign for some of Wadiya's "classic" films that didn't receive any Oscar recognition: "When Harry Kidnapped Sally," "You've Got Mailbomb" and "Planet of the Rapes." (Actually, there's a good chance that second one is better than the original Tom Hanks/Meg Ryan flick.) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/24/sacha-baron-cohens-dictator-oscars_n_1298895.html

Anyway, whether Aladeen's consequences refer to him kidnapping Uggie (please, no) remain to be seen. Whatever the case, both Cohen and Aladeen are getting a nice chunk of publicity out of this whole thing.

#!

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I just took a productive No. II.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Damn, the PR stunt worked.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/02/sacha-baron-cohen-now-invited-to-oscars-as-the-dictator-academy-blinks/

5. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

[​IMG]

6. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

...So would, "Star Trek II" (The Wrath Of Khan).

7. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

The Two Towers was the best of the Lord of the Rings movies for me.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I think I agree with this. The Battle for Helm's Deep was miles better than the Battle of Minas Tirith. And Return of the King should have ended about four times before it actually finally did. Seriously, a half-hour of wrap up after the battle is won? Holy crap, Peter Jackson really needs an editor.

9. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

More like JRR Tolkien needs an editor. Because they cut out the entire cleansing of the Shire that went on for 50 pages after the battle was won.

Then again, the Battle of Minas Tirith was the best of the movies for me. I felt like The Two Towers moved too slowly at times.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

King Kong and The Lovely Bones are proof that it wasn't just the material that he was working with that makes him go long.

Draft saved Draft deleted