1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sabathia wins AL Cy Young

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by chester, Nov 13, 2007.

1. chester

chester Member

AP just moved a story saying C.C. Sabathia won the AL CY Young. Sabathia had 19 of 28 first-place votes, and 119 total points. Beckett had eight first-place votes and 86 points.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I thought Beckett's regular season was more dominant than Sabathia, but I'm not going to cry foul over this choice, either.

I am surprised that it wasn't closer.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Way to crush Beckett, C.C.!!

O, wait ...

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Whoops.

5. pallister

pallister Guest

The postseason needs to be included in the voting.

6. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

Their numbers are really close. Sabathia pitched 40 more innings, so I guess he deserves the nod.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Yeah, then Dirk Nowitzki wouldn't have won MVP for the NBA last year and A-Rod wouldn't win this year's MVP!

8. pallister

pallister Guest

Well, Sabathia was not the best pitcher in the AL this year. Playoffs proved that. Just sayin'.

9. How much of that was the fact that the Sox had a better bullpen?

10. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

It doesn't really matter. Sabathia still pitched those innings and deserves credit for them. They helped his team. The extra 40 innings could have also contributed to Sabathia's playoff struggles.

If you're taking two guys with comparable stats and one had a 17 percent larger workload, I'd go with that guy.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Not that much. Wedge didn't hesitate to go to his pen, Beckett pitched deep into plenty of games -- and Beckett did have that trip to the DL.

As I argued before the postseason began, however, Beckett was the more dominant pitcher by my estimation, and I think it was a mistake to place such a high priority on a couple extra starts.

The baseball writers deserve to look a little silly here -- primarily one in particular at Sports Illustrated who listed Beckett THIRD behind Sabathia and Carmona. Just my opinion.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

The 40 innings work out to more than one extra inning per start, and that's nothing to be sneezed at.

Draft saved Draft deleted