1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Saban

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wonkintraining, Jan 5, 2007.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

The cops hauled this one away:

2. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

That's *tremendous*, although it could have used a little tighter editing.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

You didn't miss anything, except pre-programmed coachspeak bullshit.

4. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Scott O'Brien

5. leo1

leo1 Active Member

point taken. the whole organization is so dysfunctional. even the saban fiasco doesn't seem to be making people realize the clusterfuck that is the dolphins front office. his so-called betrayal is so glaring that everyone is putting all the blame for the last few years on him.

6. Johnny Dangerously

President Robert E. Witt is pleased to announce that Coach and Mrs. Nick
    Saban have contributed $100,000 to the University's scholarship fund for
    students who are the first in their family to attend college.

The Crimson Tide's new head football coach will be introduced to fans
    and the check presentation will be made during half-time of the
    Alabama-LSU basketball game on Tuesday, Jan. 9.

"Terry and Nick have a long history of giving back to the community,"
    said Witt. "This generous contribution to our scholarship fund clearly
    demonstrates one of their highest priorities, which is to provide
    opportunities for every student to be successful in life. We value their
    commitment to education, to students and to our community."

"Getting a college education impacts the quality of your life forever,"
    said Saban. "Helping provide opportunities to students who wouldn't
    otherwise have them is one of the best ways we know to help all students
    reach their highest potential."

Recipients of the Saban scholarships will be announced later this
    spring.

The game is on ESPN2 tonight. It will be worth watching to see if LSU fans heckle Saban. I'm betting they do.

7. Johnny Dangerously

January 11, 2007

TWO-NIGHT “SUNDAY CONVERSATION” WITH NICK SABAN

SportsCenter will present a special two-night “Sunday Conversation” with Nick Saban January 14-15, with Part 1 debuting on Sunday’s 11:30 p.m. ET program, and Part 2 premiering Monday at 6 p.m. ESPN NFL insider Chris Mortensen’s sit-down interview with the new Alabama football coach will be aired Sunday, while Monday will be their conversation as they pass through the school’s Walk of Champions, and visit the field where Saban will soon coach for the first time since being named head coach. Excerpts:

Chris Mortensen: “When your agent Jimmy Sexton called to tell you that Alabama wants to talk to you, what did you tell him on that Monday after the season ended?”

Nick Saban: “I said, ‘I don‘t want to meet with them.’ I said, ‘I am not interested in doing that.’ He said, ‘They want to talk to you.’ I said, ‘I don’t really think I want to talk to them,’ and he said, ‘You really should do this. These people have waited. You are their first choice, and you at least ought to talk to them.’ So I had a phone conversation with them…And then, from a media standpoint, this thing really went crazy, and I regret that.”

CM: “The appearance from the outside is that you were being less than truthful. What is the explanation?”

NS: “Well, I wasn’t interested in Alabama at the time because I was focused on our season. I was focused on giving our football players the best opportunity to be successful in the games. At the time, what else could I say? That’s what I wanted to do, that was my focus and that was the truth at that time.”

CM: “There is no question that you were telling the truth in your mind and in your heart?”

NS: “At that time, because I was focused on our team.”

CM: “How is Nick Saban going to go into the living room of a recruit and look his parents and that kid in the eye and say (when asked about his plans to coach Alabama for a long time), ‘Well, I am telling you the truth’?”

NS: “The No. 1 thing for me, Nick Saban, whatever anyone thinks, is to be a good person. Honesty, integrity, loyalty, being fair and honest with people has always been the trademark of what I’ve done…So regardless of what anybody says, that is who Nick Saban is.”

NS: “When I landed in the airplane to get here the first day, and there were two to three thousand fans at the airport, it really restored all the memories of the spirit of college football and the passion that people have for it, and it was great to see and it was great to want to be wanted.”

CM: “Isn't that what Nick Saban needed at that moment? Maybe in a way you got a group hug there?”

NS: “I needed a hug (laughing).”

CM: “Do you have one indelible image of Bear Bryant in your own mind about what he was, what type of coach he was?”

NS: “Standing in that tower, and that tower's still there.”

CM: “That hounds tooth hat, right?”

NS: “I got one of those -- they give you one of those when you win that (Paul “Bear” Bryant Coach-of-the-Year) award… (laughing) my son Nicholas loves wearing it.”

NS: “I would like to leave a legacy as an outstanding college football coach… to win a national championship at LSU, and to win another championship at another SEC institution at the University Of Alabama would, I think, establish a legacy that is pretty unique.”

-- 30 --

Draft saved Draft deleted