1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Saban rants, raves, bans reporter from asking questions

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SouthernStyle, Aug 20, 2009.

1. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

That's "primary practice collective" and don't you ask about it no mo' either. Aight?

2. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

No, actually, I don't think it is too difficult -- especially for the T-News crew that flocks to each press conference. I would hope that they would collectively show the stones to back up their guy in the form of some needle back at Saban. I don't think that Jeff Purinton (Saban's media handler) would yank Cecil Hurt's credential.

RB

3. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

If the media didn't cover Alabama for a week during the season, would the fans go apeshit or just go to the Alabama site for their information?

4. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

They would go apeshit, as rolltide.com isn't exactly a news source in even the "crimson-colored glasses" sense. Good for rosters, bios and ... wait for it ... the depth chart during the season.

RB

5. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Maybe that's what is needed, a one-week "break," and let the SID office or rolltide.com handle all the crush for seven or eight days.

6. Hustle

Hustle Guest

As head coach of Alabama (at least within the confines of the SportsJournalists.com XBox 360 league), I am appalled at this. My press conferences are a pure delight for all involved. I'm as quotable as Ozzie Guillen but without the short fuse, as trustworthy as Joe Gibbs but without the paranoia, as laid back as Jimmie Johnson but without the robo-corporate speak.

By your association, you sully my good name, Mr. Saban. [/crossthreading]

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Despite what some provincial northeast asshole might think, Alabama football is the Mets, Giants, Knicks and Rangers to a lot of people not only in Alabama but all across the southeast.

We get a dozen fucking threads around here every time Captain Intangibles takes a dump. Given the name of the website we're on I think one on a coach's reaction to how his team is covered by sports journalists is warranted.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The thread title is a little deceiving. Saban didn't really ban the guy from asking a question. The guy in question is a student part-timer and those guys don't generally ask questions at Saban's press conferences (because they're generally too intimidated).

Saban's a dick when he's at the podium, there is no doubt of that. But he has one of these eruptions every year (usually if the team has had a lousy practice) and most people who cover him stopped paying attention to his outbursts long ago.

Doesn't make it right, but it's not news.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Truth is, there is one baseball thread at a time, there is currently no sepatrate thread on any NY sports except Palixco Burress' plea deal, and there are far more SEC football, Saban is a prick, etc. thread than there are any NY oriented threads.

But you little SEC fucking fanboiloosers keep having your fun.
    After all it's football in the South, the most important thing in the world to a bunch of dumb shits

10. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

These are the weeks I'm quite content that the sports journalism business left me, can live blithely in a location where I never hear a peep about the Nick Sabans of the world, can completely ignore college football recruiting season, and not wake up in a cold sweat in the middle of the night wondering if I forgot to stick that late-arriving Georgia notebook in the paper.

But I am sorry that you folks in SEC country have to deal with buttwipes like him. Have a fun season, kids. This provincial asshole has gotta get ready for the Rangers season, 'ya know.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Saban is a control-freak douchebag, but coaches are well within their right not to take questions from certain reporters. Those certain reporters are also well within their right to ask their questions anyway.

I had this happen to me by a control-freak coach, so I made sure I asked all of my press conference questions when I knew ESPN News was showing the press conference live. In most cases they'd rather answer the question than look stupid on TV.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You know, I'm the last person to be accused of being an SEC fanboi. But this is way over the top, even for you.
    A coach with a reputation for being a bully berated a reporter and told him not to answer questions. I don't care if it's Nick Saban or Omar Minaya, it's a bullshit move.
    And there are times it might deserve its own thread. This is one. Love you like an older brother, but if you don't care, don't click.

Draft saved Draft deleted