1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

S.L. Price on Mike Coolbaugh

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, Sep 20, 2007.

1. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

easy is your word, not mine.
    and yes.
    it's not nuclear physics.
    just reporting and storytelling.

he did a fine job
    lots of talented writers could have
    and if you are working in this business and don't think you can, you need to sell insurance or something

2. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

Wow.

If only...

3. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I'm no photographer, but I've seen a few people cite how great these photos were. I'm not seeing it. I think the two most powerful are the widow with the two young children and the player sitting in front of Coolbaugh's shirt in the dugout. With both (more with the player) they were too posed for me to really be struck by them. I'm not criticizing or anything, I just don't see what was noteworthy about them. And I think it would have been more powerful to have a photo of the player in front of the jersey that wasn't as posed -- no idea how that could be done, as I said I'm no photog.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

The expression on their faces in the "family portrait" shot was heartbreaking.

5. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

Correct ... her body language sort of says it all. Don't mean to go all Mike Gundy here, but those of us who have such a family ... I don't know ... it's just heartbreaking to see them without their father/husband.

6. Zak Brown

Zak Brown New Member

Actually, I thought the lead photo was one of the best I have ever seen. I'm sure that's not really the case, but it seemed like it when I first looked at the photo. The woman's expression is good, but there are more powerful elements. The kids were amazing, and I don't know why this struck me so much, but the kid with his hand in his pocket really got to me. Even though it's a posed photo, that indicated to me that the kids were comfortable and not totally concerned with the camera. Maybe that's because they're little kids, I don't know. The wife's necklace is also a key element. More than anything, the photo seems to portray complete silence. Anytime a photo goes beyond what something looks like, it's pretty good.

7. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Saw this today. Price is doing a book on Coolbaugh, to come out in 2009.

http://www.observer.com/2008/sports-illustrated-writer-s-l-price-sells-baseball-book-ecco

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I imagine it will focus on his "tweener" status. The bookshelves are stacked with ghost-written autobiographies of HOFers and controversial figures, this has the potential to be an excellent read on an athlete on the cusp of being a journeyman player.
    We think of pro athletes of living extravagantly but there are thousands more who teeter on the edge of "making it" to at least a stable career and those that are caught in the wash. It had to be tough for a guy like Coolbaugh, living among and being friends with players making 10 and 20 times what he was making and knowing the difference in skills was hair-thin.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'm sure this book will be part of my library when it comes out.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Great cover:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Comes out on my birthday. That'll be an easy call

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I just started reading this book and oh my goodness I am already convinced it is the best sports book of the year. Absolutely amazing. The introduction reads like a Richard Russo novel. You don't even realize what you are reading about until you read it.

Oh, and happy early birthday, Moddy.

Draft saved Draft deleted