1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

S.L. Price on Mike Coolbaugh

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, Sep 20, 2007.

1. If you get SI and haven't read it yet, do yourself a favor and do so. If you don't get SI, go buy it.

The kind of reporting that makes me just want to quit doing this because I don't see how it's possible. I have no clue how he was able to get close enough to Coolbaugh's team and family to write such an incredible piece, but it's the most amazing piece of sports writing I've read this year, maybe in the last couple years.

Between this and Gary Smith's Randy Shannon piece a couple weeks ago, SI is on a freaking role right now.

2. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

Or a roll.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Tough standards if you wanna be a Pulitzer.

4. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I meant to post this a couple of hours ago.

You are a winnah!

I cried a little.

What a great, great story.

5. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

That's the only reason I posted.

6. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

First thing I read this week. Solid gold.

7. Bears00

Bears00 Member

Awesome. Something to look forward to tomorrow.

8. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

There have been a couple pieces in SI recently that made me feel really, really bad about myself. Like I could never be that good, so why bother?

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I dunno... Roxanne got in and she didn't have any standards

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Cocaine's a hell of a drug ...

11. Sly

Sly Active Member

Unbelievable story.

If this passage doesn't send chills down your spine, nothing will..... "It was 8:53 p.m. Coolbaugh leaned over to Miller, standing on first. "We're down a couple runs, so don't get picked off," he said. "Freeze on a line drive." Then Mike Coolbaugh said his last words: "If you're going first to third, you've got to be sure.""

Here's the link to the story ... http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/the_bonus/09/18/coolbaugh0924/

12. TX Writer

TX Writer Member

Thanks for the link. I can't wait to read again in print as well.

Wow, this as a followup to Smith's Shannon piece?? What a mini-run by SI.

Draft saved Draft deleted