1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

S.F. Chronicle has two front pages Saturday for Bonds story

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ondeadline, Sep 24, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Innovation: Something our industry is lacking.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If finding ways to do more of the same with fewer people isn't innovative, I don't know what is.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I'm speaking more to the upper-echelon, glass-office folks. There are more of those than ever.

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I'm certain it's not this way in San Fran, but has anybody else noticed how Barry seems to have disappeared in the media since he broke the record?

5. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Also done here: http://cgi.ebay.com/SPIDERMAN-1-1990-2-COPIES-DIFFERENT-COVERS-NEVER-READ_W0QQitemZ130155637771QQihZ003QQcategoryZ17082QQcmdZViewItem

in the comic book world.

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

If I had to pick between the two, that'd be my choice. The one on the left just has too many elements competing for attention. The one on the right looks stark, which is appealing if Barry's as popular in San Francisco as he seems to be.

That said, I'd have a big problem with that being the front page of the entire paper if I were at the Chronicle. Didn't anything else happen that was newsworthy?

Barry's contract not being picked up would hardly merit dominating the entire front page in my opinion. Maybe a centerpiece story on A1. Probably should at least be somewhere on A1 if not above the fold. But it shouldn't be the ONLY story on the front.

If he were actually busted for steroid use, that would be above the fold worthy in my book.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

This is an interesting take, but 80 percent of the newspapers in this country don't have the manpower to essentially have one guy dicking around trying to come up with something cool.

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I'm sure the guys working on these were pounding out daily pages while they worked on this. It's unlikely this was the only thing they were working on.

Personally, I think it would've had greater effect if they'd used "buh-bye" rather than "bye-bye."

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I really like that idea. Not that I'd recommend it on a daily or a semi-regular basis. But that's probably a decent way to pocket some more money and definitely a collector's dream.

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Yeah. Editorializing.

11. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

I like the one on the right better, but why the black box? Why not just use the reverse type on the deadspace presented by the dugout wall?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Perhaps they tried it and couldn't get it to work correctly.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted