1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

S.C. deputy filmed slamming teen girl out of desk, dragging her away

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Verbalization clearly wasn't working and the brat was disrupting the class by disobeying the teacher. How long are they supposed to converse with the delicate little snowflake in order to make her see the error in her ways?

schiezainc likes this.
  2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Original reporting? LOL. That doesn't happen.

We just react to stories now.

(Remember, if anyone had done original reporting on the Trayvon Martin case, they wouldn't have written about a can of iced tea.)

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

There already was verbalization. Multiple times. The kid kept refusing. What are they supposed to do, hold up the class for the entire period and keep verbalizing? (NOTE, AQB beat me to it)

Only thing different that I could see is having the administrator, before even going to the classroom, call the kid's parent or parents and tell them to get down to the school immediately and remove their kid themselves or their kid faces a suspension, pending a hearing for expulsion with home tutoring.

4. YankeeFan

Yeah, that sounds reasonable.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

There was a great New Yorker story about all of the mis-reporting about Steubenville.

6. YankeeFan

Would an officer like this have been working alone in the school?

I don't see any easy way for one person to extract an unwilling student from one of those chair/desk combos. A second officer would have been very helpful, but I have no idea if one was available.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Like that idea. Only problem is, how long would it take a parent to get there?

8. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Really ...then at what point do you think it's OK to move beyond verbalization? The article describes at least eight different times that she was asked to leave by three different parties ...the teacher, the administrator and the officer ...with at 4 or 5 coming from the officer---that's not enough? Just how many more times must they go through the "calm, nonthreatening commands" charade before it's OK to acknowledge that the kid's never gonna comply?

I can buy into the part of your post about starting in with soft hands instead of hard hands, but the suggestion that they'd not verbalized enough strikes me as sheer nonsense (presuming the "Instagram" source correct, of course).

9. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I think you missed that he went from verbalization past raised voice, short commands, past soft hands and straight to hard hands. The officer's concern shouldn't be whether or not the rest of the class is being held up - it's not his job and the school put that on hold when they called him in. He should be concerned with following his use of force continuum.

Do those of you strangely attempting to defend his actions honestly think that the sheriff - who is clearly ready to do whatever he can to drum this officer out, ASAP - would be throwing him under the bus if those within his own professional standards department didn't see that video and have concerns?

LEOs usually close ranks when they agree that a particular use of force was justified. That's not happening here.

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Maybe, in these days of social media stalking and feeding frenzies, it's best for the officer involved to be dismissed as quickly as possible in hopes he'll fade back into anonymity and the Internet lynch mobs will move on to something else.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

When not slamming furniture or teenagers, the deputy is the DL/strength coach for the football team.

Ben Fields - Defensive Line Coach

Couldn't he have tried cuffing her hands behind her back first?

12. YankeeFan

He's an elected official. Of course he's throw someone under the bus for his own benefit.

Draft saved Draft deleted