1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

S-bomb costs kid state title

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Jun 8, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

There was a similar situation nine or 10 years ago in Massachusetts involving the Reading High boys' track team, where an official disqualified a kid because he cursed -- and the team had its 200-something-meet win streak snapped. I tried Googling for details but couldn't find any, so maybe someone else could fill in the particulars.

2. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Wow. But I can't say I'm surprised.

3. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

fuck that.

4. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I'm shocked this is news to so many people. We had a kid up here get DQ'd from shotput for cursing (didn't win, but it cost his team points. Not that they would have won anyway...). I was of the mind that that was a little much (he didn't cuss anyway out, just was mad at himself for his throw) but no one agreed with me. Apparently, there was a hurdles winner DQ'd a few years ago up here for pretty much the same thing.
    Why punish the kids for a moment of passion?

5. girl in New Jersey was disqualified from state track meet when the starter spotted a ... bobbypin in her hair

she was on her way to the prom and had her hair done

turns out there's no rule about bobby-pins, so school appealed the DQ

only to be told the deadline for filing appeals had passed

6. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Stupid fucking shit. However ...

There are more rules made because more people bitch and moan about stuff. People being parents. This is similar to the deal with the 4 kids not getting their diplomas because of noise during graduation.

I AM NOT DEFENDING THE OFFICIALS in Conn. But "zero tolerance" rules have replaced common sense and judgment because when common sense and judgment gets used by administrators, it's often perceived as inequitable in case to case. So Suzy's parents or Johnny's parents bitch when their kid gets punished for being disciplined because they object to the judgment that's used.

Again, I'm not condoning stupid fucking decisions but many high school administrative groups operate in abject fear of lawsuits.

7. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Power-tripping assholes. Track officials are one of a kind in that regard.

They probably get together and circle jerk to the humiliations they have bestowed upon young athletes.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

shit like this shocks me every time i read it.

9. BRoth

BRoth Member

I wouldn've liked to see a quote from one of the officials from the meet just to see how they defend themselves aside from "I was enforcing the rules."

10. chazp

chazp Active Member

If I was the kid's parent, I'd sue the high school athletic association. Might not help my kid, but could prevent it from happening again.

Draft saved Draft deleted