1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

@#@#$'s about to go down at USAT

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mb, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Hoos3725

Hoos3725 Member

Did anyone read the whole story? Did anyone see the paragraph at the end about the sports section?

"USA Today thinks one of its biggest opportunities is sports, which will become "a business unto itself," Hunke said. The newly created USA Today Sports will be run by Ross Schaufelberger, a former CEO of BNQT Media Group."

This doesn't necessarily mean anything positive. But it's got a more positive tone than everything before it.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Will USA Today Sports be reporting on the Pirates and their citizen pitchers?

3. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

35 people were in line in front of me at Chipotle tonight (we're a stupid, fat country).

I had time to do a head count.

20 of the folks in line in front of me were either text messaging, playing with their smart phones or both.

I live in a rural community, not a city.

USA Today is absolutely right to be focusing on somehow delivering news to the smart phone crowd, and I applaud the foresight from a newspaper that has not taken advantage of its brand to reach a large online audience.

But it's almost as though they are trying to sweep these mass layoffs under the rug by distracting the masses with their "innovative" way of doing things. It's SO shocking that Gannett would do such a thing!! <eye roll>

My guess is they'll eliminate a bunch of expensive workers, then bring in young people to Facebook and Tweet.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

One question they didn't answer - if they are going web-first, does that mean they'll still only staff for Monday through Friday readership or go seven days a week. I realize the weekend is kind of dead for the Internet - but if you are going 24/7 instead of 24/5 the fewer people will be even more evident.

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Love how the prime hours for Internet hits and thus surfing are the middle of the day, M-F. American workers are extending their lunch hours on their employers' dime, virtually if not actually.

Or have the ranks of the unemployed risen enough and organized enough to surf in unison?

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

This will not end well.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

If they hadn't successfully-engineered their captive-audience circ at a good many of the nation's hostelries, I'd have my doubts. Would be happy to listen to additional discourse, in this regard.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I enjoyed Al Neuharth's smack-down on Hunke. Also enjoyed people pointing out the Jack Kelley situation in their responses on GannettBlog.
    Gannett has become a corporation in search of a product to justify its existence.

9. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Ha.
    I love the word "somehow" in your post.
    Might as well add and "somehow" make money as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted