1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ryder Cup

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Kool-Aid, Jul 17, 2008.

1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

It'll be an interesting dynamic, to be sure. However, Jeff Bradley did an interesting piece on why Europe has dominated the competition in recent years.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?section=magazine&id=3579293

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

To clarify, I meant gorgeous in general. I am not there this week.

Thought that was kind of understood.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Sergio and Westwood are 4-1-1 together, but weren't paired in 2006 (Westwood and Darren Clarke went 2-0 together, and Westwood and Monty got two draws).

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Rick Reilly agrees with me. Give 14 1/2 reasons why the Yanks will pull of the upset.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?section=magazine&id=3591916

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

While Pat Forde says Reilly and all others who believe the U.S. is better off without Tiger are nuts.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=3590967&sportCat=golf

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Pat Forde is my personal Jesus (that lives on U.S. soil)

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

the new avatar threw me for a sec, but clicked back because the comment had to be you.

8. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

If one player could win enough matches to win the cup for a team, then I'd say Tiger Woods could lead the US to victory.

But it doesn't -- it takes a team effort to win the Ryder Cup. As great as Tiger is, there's one thing he's not -- a team player. That's not meant as a slam on Tiger, because I don't believe you get to be the world's greatest golfer ever by being a team player.

The Ryder Cup, I believe, is won on emotion and desire to win it. If your heart's not in it, your head certainly won't be.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Valhalla is a PGA-owned course built for the game of American pros, not like past Ryder Cups which were basically played at US Open courses. That is to say, missed drives will not necessarily equal bogies. This gives a leg up to Holmes, Mickelson, and several other US guys. Not to argue with IJAG, but in my one visit to Valhalla (2004 Senior PGA), I was underwhelmed. It's a very good golf course, but some short of championship caliber as I estimate it.

10. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

The PGA apparently has worked on the course layout for the last couple of years, extending it to nearly 7,500 yards. While it probably won't be Winged Foot, it definitely won't be set up like a major on the senior tour, which would put rubber rebound walls at the edge of the fairways if it could.

The 13th hole could be shortened to less than 300 yards to give players a chance to reach the green in one, but the green is on a peninsula, so if they're off slightly, their balls get wet.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I don't know what the answer is but I checked. Tiger has played Ryder Cup matches with 10 partners. They've tried pairing him with other stars (Mickelson, Duval, Love --- of course Duval and Love when they were stars at the time) or with schlubs (Calcavecchia, Riley, Steve Pate) and nothing really works. Woods and Furyk have done well in Presidents Cups. It's a mystery.

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Sounds a little like the 10th at The Belfry, and we know what a great and pivotal hole that's been in Ryder Cup history.

Draft saved Draft deleted