1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ryder Cup

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Kool-Aid, Jul 17, 2008.

1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

No. That distinction will always go the the NFL Draft.

And to be honest, it doesn't bother me all that much who wins and loses. I know that over the three days, there is going to be some amazing golf played, which is the biggest reason why I watch. I love matchplay, and wish there were more tournaments that followed the format.

That being said, when Europe wins it gives me a good feeling inside, and I like that. It's the same feeling I get when I watch the Olympics, or the World Cup or European Soccer Championships when Great Britain or England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and Ireland do well. I like it when my fellow countrymen succeed.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I would laugh if this thing was wrapped up by Saturday, one way or the other. But I've got to think Europe should win this thing handily. The US might steal three to six matches, but the US team just doesn't have the players who I can see coming through with anything above a Hartford Open on the line.

3. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

I kind of wonder the same thing Spirited.
    I tend to watch some of it if I think about it, but I don't set my DVR or anything. My editor lives for it. So we run all the features leading up to it from the Sunday before, then seemingly a full page for it everyday it's being played.

I just wonder how much our readers really care? And if they do fine, I have no problem with that. I just don't know that they do and always think we are wasting space this week.

4. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

The problem is, our golfers don't care about "we." To the Europeans, it's important to represent your country (continent in this case). All our piece of shits want to do is complain they they aren't getting paid for it.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Without Tiger, golf and especially the Ryder Cup, is not appealing to fans.

6. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

And who on the European side has you quaking in your boots, with the exception of Harrington?

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Then you're awful narrow-minded. There are a lot of good players out there.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'll be in Vegas Thursday and am thinking about putting a few cents on the USA if they're getting +110 or so on the home soil. Just a hunch.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Yes, yes, a thousand times, yes.

I can't stand this athletic excuse for jingoism. And I think the public has largely lost its appetite for it too, despite the hype. In 1999, it was huge in terms of public interest. Now? Meh.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'll agree that it's tough to get excited over another "USA! USA!" event a month after the Olympics. And the existence of the Presidents Cup, IMO, has slowly eroded the uniqueness of the Ryder Cup. But it is strangely attractive to watch our side as the underdog for a change. "Watch" meaning for two minutes at a time during football commercial breaks.

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Sergio Garcia 14-4-2 all time. Lee Westwood 14-8-3 all time. Henrik Stenson, No.7 in the world, Justin Rose, No.13 in the world, Robert Karlsson, No.17 in the world, Miguel Angel Jimenez No. 19 in the world.

Harrington has a losing record over his Ryder Cup career.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I don't think I am exaggerating much at all by saying that the only time I have seen him in the past year and a half is the NFL Draft.

Incredible diminishment.

Overdue, but still amazing to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted