1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ryder Cup Captain's Picks

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Tiger Woods puts Ryder Cup captain Jim Furyk in potentially 'awkward' position

Tiger - assuming he doesn't win this week - will have to be a Capt.'s pick to make the Ryder Cup team as a player. He's already on board as a vice captain.

To me: It's a No-Brainer to take him, because of attendance and ratings boost he brings, and oh yeah, he's playing well and he was Tiger Woods. Of course, who knows If he back issues are flaring up maybe he's better off sitting on the sidelines.

I won't be surprised if Mickelson is a pick, though I don't think he should be (compared to everyone else on the list). If Mickelson is a pick, I think Woods is a given as well.
    I can stand DeChambeau, but I can see the argument. I wouldn't take Fowler unless I absolutely had to.
    Kuch and Stanley? Nah.

My Pick 4: Woods, Finau, Schauffele and Kisner.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Tiger Woods, the David Price of "postseason" golf.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

At the end of the day the Ryder Cup is a TV show. They can babble all they want about pride and playing for country and blah blah, blah blah blah. It's a TV show that is competing with the NFL and college football for eyeballs. Your best bet in that situation is Woods, who remains a draw with casual fans.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Tiger's playing unless he's in a hospital bed. These headlines are ridiculous.

DeChambeau's an interesting case, I think he has to play his way on because he's just too much of an iconoclast to be warmly welcomed as a captain's pick. For Furyk, it's easy to pass on him in favor of a vet like Kuchar.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If Mickelson has a real good PGA, like a top three finish, he would make the team on points. It's easy to forget how hot he was in February and March.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Furyk should go up to Mickelson today and say, "Listen, Phil. If you can't beat my score this weekend, your ass is staying home."

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Furyk could pick Randy McGoo and still win the Cup easily.

So pick the Tiger.

Unless Tiger recuses himself. Which I think may happen. He's ready to be magnanimous.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Tiger
    Fowler
    Phil
    Kisner

9. Michael_ Gee

I wouldn't be so sure about that easy win. Last time the US won in Europe was, well, I can't remember. I think it was in the 1980s. A team with McIlroy, Rose, Fleetwood, Rahm and Molinari will not be a pushover.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

1993 at the Belfry. Of course, the U.S. has only won twice this century.

11. Michael_ Gee

And never over there. That's five straight away losses.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

A Ryder Cup in Europe, especially with the U.S. holding the cup, won't need Tiger Woods for attendance and ratings.

Draft saved Draft deleted