1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ryan rips one-sentence paragraphs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by henryhenry, Nov 22, 2006.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

blondebomber ... not to defend Ryan or crucify him, because no one else was involved in your situation ... but I'm ALWAYS wary about giving out anyone else's number -- whether it's a friend or a source -- to someone I don't know. Just a habit of being in this biz for a while. You don't give out numbers to the public, and you certainly don't give out numbers to strangers.

That could partly explain why Ryan would blow you off if you asked him for a number, out of the blue.

Now the AP source list, on the other hand ... ;D

2. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

The whole conversation wasn't included in my post. But I wanted to give a sense of how cordial I was ... very gracious and considerate. We spoke for a while about my former mentor, enough that he had to know I was legit. But he was prickish before I even got to the point where I asked for the number. I probably just caught him on a bad day, but when that's my lone impression of the guy, then that's my impression of the guy.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Your lucky he didn't smack you.

He was probably wondering what kind of reporter you could be if you did not have the ability to track down your mentor.

If you wanted to reach the guy so badly why not call the sports desk where he works and leave a message.

4. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

before she died, mother teresa visited boston. one of the three people she requested to meet was ryan - she had heard of his charitable work among sportswriters

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Or, it was because she ... oh, nevermind.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Ryan's pet peeve isn't even that broad of a pet peeve. He's not ripping short sentences, but short paragraphs. They're really aren't many columnists who descend into that trap.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

........ and on the 3rd day he created the Celtics

8. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

not funny. sacreligious.

9. Jones

Jones Active Member

I can't tell whether this is irony, a truism, or the proof of a point.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I haven't gone through this entire thread, but I'd be intrigued to know if DyePack has weighed in.

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I'm just glad none of the papers I read as a kid pandered to the "average sixth grade reading level," a self-perpetuating myth that has hurt the craft. I'm not saying to go Proust on their ass, but let baby eat like a man. They aren't as feeble-minded as some people think.

As for Bob Ryan, he is undoubtedly part of this business' gentry, but there are plenty of sports fans out there who wouldn't know who he was if he took their temperature rectally.

12. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

so? you could say that about anybody. does it mean ryan's opinion isn't important? most sportswriters don't know 95 percent of the players in the NHL. does that mean the NHL sucks as a league? (maybe, but that's besides the point)

Draft saved Draft deleted