1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ryan or Mcfadden ?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Apr 22, 2008.

?

Who would your draft ?

1. Matt Ryan

24.1%
  2. Darren Mcfadden

75.9%
  1. BYH

BYH Active Member

[blue]The Jets should definitely use an early pick on a QB. It's worked so well the past 40 years.[/blue]

2. pallister

pallister Guest

Shut up, Ken O'Brien was awesome!

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

He was no Browning Nagle!

4. pallister

pallister Guest

Isn't O'Brien the only first-round QB the Jets have taken since Joe Willie? At least they didn't select two busts at the position in the span of five years, not to mention trading the 10th pick for a provenly washed-up Rick Mirer. All between 1997 and 2003. That's embarrassing.

5. derwood

derwood Active Member

Chad Pennington was a first round pick.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

No way. The Bears gave up a first-rounder for Rick Mirer?!

7. pallister

pallister Guest

Forgot about Pennington.

And yeah, they traded their first-rounder to Seattle, which selected Shawn Springs.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Wow. Just...wow.

And of course there is a Jets connection here: Mirer was the QB Parcells inexplicably turned to after Testaverde blew out his Achilles in the '99 opener. That experiment lasted about half a season, more than enough time to bury their playoff hopes...which Ray Lucas nearly salvaged by rallying the Jets to 8-8.

9. pallister

pallister Guest

Had Rick Mirer not played at ND, he would have been drafted in the fifth round. Of course, that doesn't excuse the Bears, who had four years of film showing he couldn't be a good quarterback. That would be the equivalent of a team trading a top-10 pick this year for Alex Smith.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Quick question, how many of the current NFL starters at QB were first round picks?

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

I bet you it's less than half.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

According to my quick math, it's 15 of 32. Wasn't sure about Brodie Croyle, whom I guessed was not a first-rounder, or Chris Redman, whom I guessed was.

Draft saved Draft deleted