1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ryan Braun now linked to Miami PED clinic

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Re: Miami New Times: A-Rod, Melky, Gio Gonzalez, others linked to PED clinic

Sure is ironic.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'm concerned about the children, Doc. They emulate movie stars and musicians, too.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Whats the difference between Tommy John surgery and the use of HGH, testosterone or any other properly administered and medically authorized drugs and treatment?

I understand the ban on taking PED without a doctor's supervision, but if HGH and any other treatment is medically neccessary, why not?
    Is it wrong for baseball player to get laser eye surgery to correct the ability to see? They say Ted Williams had 20/15 eyesight. Why can't a player have his corrected from 20/100 to 20/15?

4. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

I am not advocating the use of PEDs. Their use is dangerous and wrong, but if prescribed by a licensed medical provider, they are not illegal. For that reason the FDA and DEA have little jurisdiction. However, if the Biogenesis clinic was churning patients, not providing adequate medical supervision, and prescribing medications without direct patient contact, then federal authorities can pursue the matter.

Legal, allowed and ethical do not always coincide

5. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

There are few clinical indications for HGH, IGF1, testosterone or any other anabolic steroid. Those people who have true deficiencies, and not normal physiologic declines, generally do not have the physical capabilities to become an elite athlete. The abuse of PEDs is dangerous and potentially life threatening.

For surgery to correct an injury and comparing it to drug abuse, that argument seems specious. As for LASIK surgery to improve vision, i would hope that an ethical ophthalmologist would not tamper with a normal eye with normal vision to try to make it "better".

Interestingly, with enough money, the body can obtain benefit from increased levels of red blood cells and EPO just by living at altitude or living or sleeping in rooms whose oxygen concentration has been decreased, simulating high altitude. WADA has ruled that this not contravene their List.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I believe Tiger Woods had LASIK done. And I don't think it was so he could drive better at night.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That being said, many surgeries are done not just to "correct" an injury, but to repair it in the quickest possible time so that the athlete can get back on the field as quickly as possible. I find it hard to believe that doctors would recommend surgery for Joe Six Pack 's injury at the same rate he will recommend it for an elite athlete.

Could you not argue that it would be "safer" to let many injuries heal on their own without costly, invasive and possibly dangerous surgery?

Yes.

But then, so is football. We cheer the men who A) risk their bodies . . . and then criticize them for B) taking things to help their performance . . . which may risk their bodies. Why do we treat A) and B) like some great divide?

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

BTE, I would argue that the WAY more tolerant attitude football fans have towards players busted for PEDs than that of baseball fans (and remember, most folks are both) stems from their realization, conscious or otherwise, of the dilemma you outlined.

9. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

The general public has benefitted from the guinea pigs that are elite athletes. Many operations reserved in the past only for athletes have become much more accessible because of improved techniques and outcomes.

The purpose of an operation is to return the patient to as close to their pre-injury status as possible. Joe Six Pack is routinely offered joint procedures that allow him to return to work or play. The pro athlete has the benefit of being able to rehab an injury post op for many hours a day and therein lies the benefit of not having anything else to do but work out.

My perception of athletic performance suggests that an athlete succeeds to maximize his or her potential by hard work, dedication and perseverance. I don't appreciate those who take short cuts, whether it is at school, at work or in the athletic arena. PEDs are shortcuts and in my mind they are cheating. If one believes that those who cheat and don't get caught are performing ethically, then there is little the rest of the world can do to change their minds about drug abuse in sport.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

You are in good company ...

George F. Will, "A Stain on Baseball," The Washington Post, 12/8/2004

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

If it were only that black and white.

12. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Why not just let pro athletes use PEDs? I know that sounds radical but it would level the playing field. They would assume all the health risks that go along with their use. As long as there are rules, people are going to find ways to get around them, creating an unlevel playing for those who don't cheat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.