1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Russian Family went 40 years cut off from the world

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HC, Jan 30, 2013.

1. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Fascinating story. There's a link to a documentary at the end which, unfortunately, is in Russian w/out subtitles.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-archaeology/For-40-Years-This-Russian-Family-Was-Cut-Off-From-Human-Contact-Unaware-of-World-War-II-188843001.html

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I love that story, but the most fascinating sentence is this one ... A quarter of a century later, now in her seventies herself, this child of the taiga lives on alone, high above the Abakan.

How do they know she's still alive? Doe somebody check on her regularly?

3. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I got the sense that they still check on her. And as I've stated elsewhere, if she is still alive, she's the most badass person in the world.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Her tears could cure cancer in Chuck Norris.

5. joe

joe Active Member

That was a great read.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Amazing; thanks.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Great read.

But strange headline: " . . . Unaware of World War II"

I guess they were unaware. But story never mentions World War II, never mentions the family being told about it later (if they were).

Just an out-of-left-field thing to stick in the headline.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Family was found in 1978 so it adds up timeline-wise.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Oh, I'm not disputing it. But reading the headline gave me some expectation that was never met. Story mentions satellites and moon landing and television. Just didn't mention the thing in the headline.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Yeah you're right. Fascinating story though. Kurosawa made a movie about a guy stuck in the Siberian wilderness, but it was nothing like this.

11. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I would like to have gotten more "family stuck outside their time" stuff. Nazis and nuclear bombs and the Partridge Family and other such genocidal evils.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Mark Whicker is working on a column.

Draft saved Draft deleted